No power with Check Engine light on

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice today my truck starts normal and as I'm driving it suddenly has no power, the Check Engine light comes on and it idles roughly. When I try to accelerate, there's a bad vibration and it acts like it's not getting fuel. Conditions last for about a minute or less and it goes away. No other symptoms. Fluids are good, fuel pump is about a year old. I'm going to try and get my programmer/scanner to read any codes tommorrow.

An ideas?

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had no occurances today and didn't have time to pull codes. But I've had time here at work to search this sight. I'm guessing it's a short in the UVC harness. Any good sources for these or is the parts house just as good? What else should I replace while I'm into it.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Crumm. I'm assuming it's not too hard to do? I'm thinking of replacing all the UVC wires and gaskets on the valve covers and glow plugs. Any other suggested cheap swaps while I'm under there?

Thanks for the help.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my VC's off I wish I would have started the truck just to watch the oil spouts but never thought of it at the time.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I now have a project to tackle on my next free weekend. Hope the ride can hang in there another 2 weeks!

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the problem I was having and it ended up being a malfunctioning acelerator pedal assembly(the switch that in it). But you have to buy the entire thing. I would definitely check the codes because mine threw a code about it being the pedal assembly. good luck

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the problem I was having and it ended up being a malfunctioning acelerator pedal assembly(the switch that in it). But you have to buy the entire thing. I would definitely check the codes because mine threw a code about it being the pedal assembly. good luck

I'm not sure it's the pedal. It's so intermittent. Did it like 3 times this weekend mainly it seemed after a cold start but the it did it once on a warm start and blew my theory. Going to try and pull codes tommorrow and see.

Thanks for the input.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well I didn't get any such code unfortunately. Only thing I got was PCM processor Keep alive memory error. That's the code I got win it's exhibiting the problem. However, there are no codes read when the engine is running normal. I thought the computer would store those problem codes even if the CEL goes off. That's just using my Edge programmer's code reading function which I'm sure isn't too great.

Problem persist and seems to be more so soon after the engine is started. I'm not seeing any fuel leaks but it sure acts like it does when you run one tank out of fuel. I opened the oil fill cap and smelled the smoke coming out of the valve cover. Didn't smell particularly like an electrical short so I'm beginning to wonder if it's the UVC harnes or something else. With 193,000 miles I'm sure it could be a lot of things.

Any input our ideas would be greatly appreciated because I'd sure hate to go through the PIA of doing the UVC harness only to still have the problem!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14