No rear lights, need wiring diagram

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 99 lighting system? I have no rear lights at all (b/u, running, or brake). I got under there to make sure no obvious plug problems and found the wiring was spliced everywhere and done poorly. I'm wanting to re wire all of it.

If you can help i'll really appreciate it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 99 lighting system? I have no rear lights at all (b/u, running, or brake). I got under there to make sure no obvious plug problems and found the wiring was spliced everywhere and done poorly. I'm wanting to re wire all of it.

If you can help i'll really appreciate it.

dude, I have the complete set...

FYI..
two of the trailer relays are under the hood.. there is a third behind the dash, under the radio..

Last edited:

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude, I have the complete set...

FYI..
two of the trailer relays are under the hood.. there is a third behind the dash, under the radio..

Wow, 3 relays, this should be fun.

Thanks for the pics, I have to get this fixed up quik.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I have no rear lights at all (b/u, running, or brake).

Since you have no b/u, running or brake lights, the problem must be something in common with all of them. Looking at the wiring schematic, I see there is a ground connection at the left rear of the vehicle that looks to be common with all those lights. That is where I'd start to look. Look for the wire to be broken, or maybe where a crimp-on wire splice may have been installed on that wire.

Crimp-on wire splices are notorious for causing opens in wires. They break the wire's insulation allowing the wire to corrode at that point. Eventually, it corrodes all the way through, causing an open in the wire.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be checking the grounds thoroughly, but i have no power at my trailer plug and i'm guessing none at the lights ( i will check in the morning)

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I will be checking the grounds thoroughly, but i have no power at my trailer plug and i'm guessing none at the lights ( i will check in the morning)

Different circuits/fuses for truck's tail lights and the trailer. So don't assume because one doesn't have power, the other doesn't either. There are trailer light fuses under the hood for left/right/tail lights.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different circuits/fuses for truck's tail lights and the trailer. So don't assume because one doesn't have power, the other doesn't either. There are trailer light fuses under the hood for left/right/tail lights.

You guys were right. After I unwound a roll of tape off the wiring I found the mess. It looked like the wiring to the lights had been cut twice and repaired twice, then spliced into for a trailer plug that was later cut off and left bare. It was color coded to a 4 wire trailer system. I dont know what happened to the OE wiring but its gone now.

I ran new soldered and heatshink wires from up around the fuel tank by the first splice back to the bed and everyhting lights up now.

The trailer plug is still dead so i'll figure that out next. The diagram was very helpful so thanks for that JLDickmon, i owe you one.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The trailer plug is still dead so i'll figure that out next.

Look at the fuse block under the hood. The fuses and relays for towing trailers are not installed at the factory. The factory had all the fuses and such in a plastic bag in the glove box. Check that they are installed before you go "chasing any wild geese".

If I were to make a guess, I suspect the previous owner couldn't get the trailer plug-in wires to work in the back. Reason for that being the fuses were not installed in the fuse block under the hood.

Not being sucessful with the trailer harness, he then just spliced into the wires for the tail lights on the truck butchering the harness in the process.

There are some people who should legally not be allowed to use & handle tools.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14