no rear running lights

SoCalPowerStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 ford f250 i have front and mirror running lights but no tail ones, brake and turns work perfectly fine, checked the fuses none are blown and changed out the bulbs and still nothing any one have any advice on how to get this fixed? i need it done to do my cali inspection

SoCalPowerStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but all the other lights work? headlights, corners, turn brake , park and such, but why would only one function(rear running lights) be not working? and the truck is still basically brand new under 38k on it

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked the sockets? they could be burned out or lots of times the factory puts grease on the socket, when the grease dries up it turns to a gummy mess and you can lose contact. Happens all the time on chevy tails. Are you rebuilding this truck? You may have to check the wires behind the lights as well as in the loom that runs back to them, maybe a broken wire? Also I agree with daveben to check the switch... could be a seperate contact coming out for the taillamps.

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if worse comes to worse, and you can't find the break, you can always pull power off of the front parking lights and run a jumper back. It would only be one wire, and it will get you through the inspection.

SoCalPowerStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but that would be a complete pita and the sockets seem to be fine no wires missing or cut the whole wire loom, the truck was a theft recovery and in cali its a pain in the ass to register a salvage vehicle from out of state, 50 bucks more for the reg fee, then chp inspection, then also have to pay for that and then the light inspection, and cant really drive it back to arkansas to get the vin verified by local cops and the state wont take a written and stamped form from a ca police or chp officer

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd have to tell you to get out a test light and a wiring diagram..
start at the sockets and move your way forward..

my guess would be a headlight switch as well..

Fine69

Reaction score
Check for corrosion in the trailer wiring hookup at the back bumper. A lot of times these aren't used and they will corrode, causing the taillights not to work.

SoCalPowerStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the connection at the rear was the problem wasnt corroded but one of the pins and been broken off! repined it and it works, gotta love theft recovery vehicles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58