No Speedometer - Need Help

nighttrain.hale

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2000 F250 2wd 7.3 powerstroke 6 speed manual.

EVERYTHING in the truck work except for the speedo, odo, and cruise. I just bought it used so don't know when it quit.

I bought a brand new VSS and put it in the rearend. I checked EVERY fuse in the truck twice. I even took a working cluster out of my brother in laws truck and still nothing. Every other gauge works perfectly.

I checked for power at the connector on the speed sensor in the rear end and it showed nothing but I only have a cheap circuit tester and didn't know exactly what voltage would be running to that sensor.

Anything that worked for someone else?

I don't think mine has ABS brakes (work truck model with no wires/sensors coming from any wheel or rear diff.:hail

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the sensor is an AC pulse generator.. you need to check output across the sensor with the gears turning in the pig..

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
That sensor in the diff runs the rear anti-lock. That's why it's not in the tranny/transfer case. Do you have a anti lock light that comes on when you key on/engine off?

nighttrain.hale

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Getting closer

I did figure out that the VSS also controlled the ABS last night after I bought a Haynes repair manual.

The ABS light does not illuminate when the key turns on. Where is that light?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Did the light illuminate when you borrowed your brother in laws cluster? Are you positive the fuse is good as in checking with test light not just visual inspection? Sounds like a power problem. Could be a bad ABS module but from what I recall the abs light will stay on if the module goes bad which I why I would trace out the power.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58