Noisey!

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a loud belt that was driving me crazy it would warm up and get quiet, but in the morning kind of noisy. I put belt dressing on the belt and got rid of the noise. But now when cold i am hearing a rattling noise from the front somewhere. It warms up and its gone. i think it might be a idler pulley? to release tension on the pully do i use the bolt with the star wrench? or is this noise coming from somewhere else. the fitting on top of the water pump going to the heater is slightly wet like maybe it could be tightend a little. engine isnt running hot so probably not the waterpump? Any ideas?

thanks, Banana

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What do you drive?? If you fill out your signature, it would help us to help you. Go to the USER CP in the TOP BLUE LINE and click on EDIT SIGNATURE. Fill it out, not too tough.

Dave

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I obviously dont get on the computer enough to get things up to date. I did fix the signature thing, thanks The truck is a 1997 7.3 f-250.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Water pumps usually waste the bearing that supports the shaft that turns the impeller. If the shaft leaks or is loose at all, you need to get a new pump. The idler pulley can make noise as it also has a bearing that can go bad. Heat, generally, does not take out the pump.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
it may be the belt itself causing the rattle.

case in point, my '73 Maverick.
Belt dressing prolongs the inevitable. Just change the belt.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the belt off and spin everything, see if you notice one pulley not spinning as smoothly or ratteling.....make sure everything is bolted down good. Also check for bearing dust. If thats not it, then try replacing the belt (can you tell what side of the engine its coming from?). I always keep a spare belt in my truck anyways. Never know when that thing is goin to have a come-a-part

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have a waterpump headed south, Given how large the cooling system is on theses and how little they work in theses trucks for daily driving convection cooling in the system does ok at cooling them but you get hot spots that the temp probe doesn't see besides you wont' see the factory lie-o-meter temp guage move at all until you're seeing steam from under the hood.

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pulleys

pulleys all seem fine. noise is from the passenger side sounds like from behind the alternator. took oil fill cap off and listened inside cant hear rattle in there. could bad fuel cause a rattle? after the truck warms up it goes away. no noticeable change in performance. runs fine no smoke etc..... :dunno

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was the idler assembly rattling due to the belt being old. I changed the belt all good. thank you for all the help.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear, Keep an eye on the idler assembly the bearings tend to go bad in those and or the spring in the tensioner gets weak or breaks. I've had to replace the bearings in my tensioner already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14