Noisy Torque Converter.........

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
What makes a t/c noisy???

With the truck in park and the engine running if you listen at the passenger side front fender well it sounds like the "marbels in the can" thing.

When I flip the manual t/c switch on the dash the noise disappears................. :dunno

So........what is making the noise???

Tbar

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I've been saying that forever. He says my truck isn't as fast as yours Bryan. I say wonder why?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Y'all aint no help..................... :D

Tbar

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i thought it was the weldment nuts coming loose and rattling, on the tq converter, i have heard some that scare you they are so lound like bearings runing against metal
wasnt there a tsb on it fe w years back,

98/99 E-vans and 99 F-series built before 6-11-98 with 4R100 (E4OD) auto trans--ticking noise after intial start-up (fluid near ambient temperature) in park or neutral may be caused by the overdrive clutch steel seperator plates impacting on the case. Disassemble the transmission and inspect the coast clutch to determine the parts required:
If the coast clutch cylinder is stamped-steel, use friction plates P/N F81Z-7B164-BA; If it is cast iron use P/N F81Z-7B164-CA; E-vans with 7.3 or 6.8 engines require a new accumulator assy, P/N F8UZ-7G422-DA; all vehicles equiped with 5.4 gas engines use accumulators F8UZ-7G422-AA for LD and -BA for HD applications; 7.3 F-series require no accumulator. TBS 98-20-9.

98/99E-vans built after 1-5-98 and 99 F-series with 4R100 (E4OD) auto trans--rattle/scraping noise from bellhousing is caused by the torque converter. Verify the noise is caused by the converter by using an electronic transmission tester on break out box. Activate the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid by depressing and holding the TCC button on the trans tester or by grounding pin 54 of the B.O.B. If the noise disapprears with the TCC locked, replace the torque converter with new service part XL3Z-7902-DARM.

Doggy Daddy

"Junior Member"?? OUCH!!
Reaction score
Hey TBar,
The 99s and early 2000s had round ears on the torque converter clutch plate (about 3/8" radius if memory serves) where it goes into the grooves of the converter housing. The later 2000s on had square ears (well, OK, radiused the same as the inside circle of the converter housing but straight on the load bearing surfaces) and did not beat the housing and themselves up. If you have seen an automatic trans clutch pack or a motorcycle clutch you have seen the tabs around the outside that I am talking about.

If your trans is working OK and you have serviced it fairly recently and did not find anything unusual in the pan then I'd replace just the converter. If you pull the pan and find a bunch of metal or clutch material then consider replacing the trans while you are at it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58