Not completely down, but very close!

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... It's not down now, but it was earlier today. I knew I was running low on fuel, but that's not anything new. My "You're running out of fuel you idiot!" light came on as I left the office. I usually have a good 50 miles left for sure. Never actually ran out before, but I could drive a good 50 miles after the light came on and before I tanked up again. What can I say... I live dangerously. Anyway...

Today, I drove about 15 miles after the light came on. I didn't notice anything wrong until I slowed down for the toll booth. At that time I could tell something was wrong and it just seemed to me it was starving for fuel. Running rough / missing / etc... I made it through the toll booth and just out of the flow of traffic before it konked out completely. (about 1000 ft / 3 min)

So there I sat, late for my Daughters last home game and stuck on the side of the road in the rain. I tried cranking it a few times while on hold with AAA and sure enough I got it started again after a few mins. Still ran very rough, but I limped into the Shell station just before it died again. I put a little more than 1/4 tank in hoping that I just ran out of diesel. Cranked a couple times over a few minutes and sure 'nuff, she came to life, but still not healthy at all. She sounded like she was running on 3 cylinders and starving for fuel. I let her idle for a few mins (remember, I GOT to get to my girl's game) and she started to idle a little better. A few more mins and got a little more better. Finally after letting it idle for about 20 min it was purring like a lion.

I took off, put the tow truck dispatch on hold, and was able to drive the remaining 12 miles to the game without another seconds trouble. Whew... It was bottom of the 1st, 5-0 my daughter's team winning.

Anyway... I am thinking I must have ran out of diesel, but I don't understand why the "idiot range" would have reduced so dramatically. Needless to say I won't run it fumes anymore, but I gotta know what happened. Fuel filters were changed just a month/1200mi ago.

Did I run out of fuel, or could something else cause this? :confused:

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I gotta know!!! :thanks

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Perhaps since your tank was so low some air got sucked in and until it was fully purged you got full power back?

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... I thought of that, but I run it low all the time for longer and this has never happened.

So, is it normal for it to take so long to get the fuel flowing fully again?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I know in my '97 an air lock can be bled through the schrader valve. Someone cranks while someone else pushes in the valve until fuel spurts out. I'm not familar with the 6.0L.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me neither... So the fuel delivery has to be bled like a brake system?

Also... Why would my "on fumes/idiot light" range be so drasticly reduced?

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Me neither... So the fuel delivery has to be bled like a brake system?

Also... Why would my "on fumes/idiot light" range be so drasticly reduced?

1. Yes.

2. Uphill, downhill, sloshing side to side, in a hurry to catch a ball game... I agree with Double H.. it sucked a slug of air. How to prevent this? Don't tun the thing so low on fuel. The lift pump is electric; you run that sucker dry, it's burn out in a heartbeat...

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run mine low plenty...ive seen the display go -- monre than a few times.
you should be able to pressurize/prime the 6.0L by turning the key
on (w/out starting the engine).

its the recommended practice when you change the fuel filters too.

turn the key, hear the pump run, wait til the pump stops running and
then turn the key off and repeat the process (3 times should do it
fine but ive heard or read 5/6 may be needed).

ive heard plenty complain about rough idle, bucking or smoking after
theyve changed the fuel filters and NOT primed/pressurized the system.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
I had the sending unit go unpredictable on me sometimes full tank then drop to a 1/4 and stay there untill ? am I geting better than usual mileage humm???then hey why am I loosing power @#$% I think I'm outa fuel what the @#$% well i dropped the tank and to my suprise the sending arm was not making contact (simple potentiomiter (sp) oh by the way mine has a fuel pump on the frame rail not in the tank found that after I bought the in tank pump and sending unit. live and learn is usually expensive!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14