Not hub assembly

Cougar71

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Help! My 04 Super duty recently began making a growling noise at the dfront drivers side wheel soundin like a set set of mud grips on the pavement. First thought was wheel bearings because if I turned to the left, the noise would decrease, right it would increase. So I replace the hub assembly on the front drivers side and took it down the road. Same damn noise! Checked u-joints, ball joints, etc. and cant figure out what is causing the noise. Any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Wheel Bearings? These are the "Unit Bearings", meaning that both the inside and outside front wheel bearings are one unit. It is impossible to change one side without changing the other side. Not cheap too. Good Luck.

Dave

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thought was wheel bearings because if I turned to the left, the noise would decrease, right it would increase. So I replace the hub assembly on the front drivers side and took it down the road. Same damn noise!

If you turn right, you are loading pressure on the DRIVER side...turn left and you are going to load the passenger side bearing. Most times, when you load them with a turn, they will stop making the noise. I'm kinda thinking that maybe you changed the wrong one.

Checked u-joints, ball joints, etc. and cant figure out what is causing the noise. Any ideas?

There is one other thing to take a look at...the needle bearings inside the hubs that the stub shaft rides on. Now, this shouldn't change much with a turn, and if you have the axles unlocked, then it's not it going to be it either, but it is worth a look.

Just from the sound of it though, I still am leaning toward you changed the wrong unit bearing...but I have been wrong before too.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
stick the hub you took off the driver side on the passenger side.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"There is one other thing to take a look at...the needle bearings inside the hubs that the stub shaft rides on. Now, this shouldn't change much with a turn, and if you have the axles unlocked, then it's not it going to be it either, but it is worth a look."

Thats what was wrong with mine about 9 months ago. I didn't have the hubs or 4x4 engage. The shop here changed out the needle bearings to what chevy uses (said it lasted longer) and a new left axle. Tried getting just the outboard shaft but Ford only sold it as a hole.

The way it acted with me was I would be driving down the road, it vibrated like a mud grip tire, but as soon as I hit a bump it felt like I was in a paint can shaker. I could pull over and stop, and it was fine again untill I hit another bump.

If it is the wheel/unit bearing (tamato/tamahto), the wheel should be leaning...mine did. Or feel play in the wheel when you jack it up off the ground. Look at the u-joint on the front axles and see if you can wiggle them.

YouTube - U-Joint.MPG

Last edited:

Cougar71

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Didnt work. Im begining to think maybe tire problem because I am out of ideas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58