Observations on the tranny after chip install

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesnt mean you cant be over taxing the trans... They dont like stock power, let alone any HP boost... Just an Idea...

lvseicsh

Leo in Mississippi
Reaction score
SMOKNZ said:
First off I want to say I love my DP chip. I just have some observations that I'd like to bring up and see if this is normal. When I take off at low speed, or any speed before the converter locks the rpm's come up and stay up while the truck is accelerating. They stay pretty constant while you can feel the tranny shift. It has the feeling like it has a real loose (high stall) converter in it. While I have no idea what converter is in the truck, I know the tranny was rebuilt by it's previous owner, so it may or may not be stock. The truck feels like it has a 5 speed auto (I know it's a 4 speed). I take off while normally driving and the revs come up to around 2100 or so, I feel the 1-2 shift, revs stay the same, 2-3 shift revs still the same, get to around 45 and the converter locks kinda hard, and the revs fall to around 1650 or so, keep accelerating and the revs will now follow the speed of the truck all the way to overdrive and above. I guess what I'm trying to ask is is the stock converter sloppy with the additional power of a chip? it didn't act like this stock, and immediately did it after the chip. The trans doesn't feel like it slips at all, and really pulls fine when loaded. With more throttle the rpm's really just go higher and stay the same when accelerating, unless I stomp it down and then it will climb with the gears. Just wondering if this is common. Sorry if the rambling is confusing, just trying to explain in words :sweet

Bill

Bill,

I have a 2001 F-250 and have the EXACT same symptoms. AND the previous owner put a Ford rebuit tranny it. I had trouble explaining it to the guy at Brian's Truck Shop Tuesday when I ordered my BTS Valve body. I even said the words "it feels like it has a 5 or 6 speed tranny in it". I am not chipped, but as soon as I install the valve body, i'm going to order the DP-Tuner....the guy at BTS said to tell Jody "60HP PMT1". I hope the combination of the 2 will solve the problem. What do you think, Diane?

Thanks,
Leo in Mississippi

SeeYa

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Leo,

Did you talk directly with Brian? I will have to ask Jody when he has second and see what he thinks about your symptom. I have heard that description before. I can tell you this though, that those that have received the VB from BTS and their chip from Jody have been satisfied with how their truck is afterwards. Some tell me it doesn't even feel like the same truck when they drive it afterwards.

Last edited:

lvseicsh

Leo in Mississippi
Reaction score
SeeYa said:
Leo,

Did you talk directly with Brian? I will have to ask Jody when he has second and see what he thinks about your symptom. I have heard that description before. I can tell you this though, that those that have received the VB from BTS and their chip from Jody have been satified with how their truck is afterwards. Some tell me it doesn't even feel like the same truck when they drive it afterwards.

I should have asked the person's name when I was ordering my vb, but I didn't. It's just like Bill described, if I'm giving it about 25% throttle it will rev up to around 1750 rpm (or so) and just hang around there as it's accelerating with very subtle shifts until it gets to around 40+ mph and FIRMLY goes into OD. BUT, if I really stomp on it, it seems to run through the gears perfectly. The fluid is bright red and smells sweet.

Thanks,
Leo in Mississippi

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did the VB set you back?

Diane, you are right, but even without the VB this is like a totally different truck! I am 100% satisified with the chip! and I don't even have an intake yet!! It pulls so much better and drives so much better than stock. I'm about to purchase a 12,500 lb 5'ver, so we will see how the tranny handles that. I will be investing in a better tranny cooler though!

Bill

lvseicsh

Leo in Mississippi
Reaction score
SMOKNZ said:
What did the VB set you back?

I will be investing in a better tranny cooler though!

Bill

The total after core return is going to be around $225 (including shipping).

I have the TruCool Max 40,000 lb GVW cooler that is going on Saturday and if the vb is here....that too.

I'll keep ya'll updated as to the installs.

Later,
Leo in Mississippi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14