Odd noise from my exhaust

neil_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have an 03 f250. I decided i wanted to go loud and i gutted everything i have a friend at mineke that does it for all my diesels. the only thing is when i leave my truck idleing or im sitting at the red light it kicks the turbo up every now and then kinda sounds like an airplane when its taking off but right after it starts to get loud it kicks down into a low almost gas sounding rumble then about 3 mins later it starts the process over do i have anything to worry about or is this just because i have no muffler or cat

Reaction score
Something to do with the variable vanes opening and closing when they are closed it spins faster. Then when they open it slows the turbo down. Dont say that to loudly there's lof of people on here who'd kill to have an 03 turbo. haha

6.ho stroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mines an early 04 and after i did my exhaust & intake ppl around here thought i put a bigger turbo on it cause of the noise. gotta love it :thumbs

neil_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh yea mine sounds great, has a real mean rumble tone to it when you get into the pedal

Crazyhorse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine just started this after the latest reflash (government ordered), and it sounds like shit!!! Before the reflash it had a nice jet engine whine all the time at idle, now it stumbles up and down, it whines for about 30 seconds (like it used to) then it switches to a farting sound for about 15 seconds, then repeats. It's also surging about 200 RPM at the same time. For all of you that prefer this stumbling sound over the straight up turbine whine, I'll trade ya...

Reaction score
woo wee read about the ford turbos have a silencer ring too like the dodges and on an early 03 it just lays in there like the dodge. On later models its riveted in and you gotta grind the rivets off. Gonna look at it this weekend i can not imagine any more whine than i already have but hey whats wrong with people tryin to dodge a 747.:roflmao -popcorn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14