OE Cab clearence light removal

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zanybody know if they are screwed in from under the headliner ? Or will they come loose from the top ?

I wana mount my XM antenna behind the center one... from inside.

TIA for any info.

JOE

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I installed the oem on my truck. There are three holes in the roof for each light. One large one for the electrical connection, and two smaller holes. The lights have studs on them and receive nuts from the inside. Hope that helps. Bryan

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Budro is correct. You will have to remove the headliner to remove the lights. Take off the grab handle in the ceiling of the passangers side, the seatbelt shoulder harness high anchor and the rest of the trim will snap off with the exception of the rear light (dome). Remove its mounting screws. Reverse the order to install. Two people really helps.

Dave

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I only removed the visors, and a piller covers, then was able to gently pull down enough to do what I wanted. There was a small crease created by doing this but it went away by itself overnight.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx Guyz.

I'm REAL good at destroying anything that has to do with "Fit & Finish":eek: . Maybe I'll just stay with the antenna where it is.

But Thanx again.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Budro, did you drill pilot holes from the outside first, or are there some type of pattern or knockouts on the backside of the roof sheet metal? And what circuit did you tap into? I'm interested in doing the light mod, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel, and I'm nervous about taking a drill to a $45K truck. Thanks.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I took some measurements off a new truck late one night when nobody was at the stealership.

I then placed enough blue masking tape over the cab to make plenty of measurement markings. I measured 6 times and drilled once. :cool:

I too was very nervous about drilling 15 holes in the roof of a truck that cost this much. Yours is almost twice what I payed in 2000. :eek: I drilled all holes from the outside.

I bought all parts needed for the install from stealership for around $62. I got the factory wiring harness too. On my truck the wires were already behind the glovebox in the passenger side kick panel area. :thumbs

Bryan

redpsd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
Zanybody know if they are screwed in from under the headliner ? Or will they come loose from the top ?

I wana mount my XM antenna behind the center one... from inside.

TIA for any info.

JOE

For my XM antenna...I took off the 3rd brake light thats mounted up high on the rear of the cab. I could then take a metal clothes hanger...unwound straight...and feed it through a hole up there...across the headliner and over toward the rear passenger door. From there...it was just removing the weather stripping on the door frame to wind the antenna wire to the dash. My antenna is mounted about 8 inches forward of the rear of the cab. I notched a small hole in the 3rd brake light plastic and filled in with a little black silicon. Haven't had any issues yet.

If my poorly worded description is exactly that...lemme know. I can go get some pictures taken for you.

red

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58