Question Off Road diesel mixed with regular diesel

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law borrowed my truck, to haul some hay equipment, and he noticed the fuel level was getting low so he pulled it up next to his tank an filled it up with off road diesel. Aside from it being illegal to drive it on the highway is this going to cause me problems in engine operation. The fuel in the tank is basically 75% off road diesel and the rest is ULSD. He has already driven it several miles so the fuel has already made it to the injectors, etc.

I am not worried about the chance of being stopped for burning off road diesel so if it is not going to hurt anything I will use this tank and then fill up with the ULSD next time.

Thanks for any advice.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Its the same ultra low surfer fuel just has red die in it. It will take a while for the red to come out probably a couple tanks worth. Even if it was just low sulfer fuel your truck didn't require ULSF it wasn't until '07 the engines required it.

Last edited:

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to burn it all the time in a 99 7.3 I had just to save money, back then it was around $0.89 never had a problem but if you are worried about being caught you need to change the filter also. Here in Missouri they check filters and also do a test strip that is wiped around the filler cap

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Red diesel is not taxed for the road. If you get caught with red in your tanks on the road, big fines. It is the same diesel as on road diesel.

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel will not hurt the truck, but the red die will sure hurt your pocket book
if you get checked.
Get it all burned out and change out the filters and get everything
real clean, also don't tell anyone who lives near you about this.
The Government pays big rewards for turning people in. Good Luck.
Doug

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. You are echoing what I thought but I wanted to get some input from the experts. I will change the filters after I burn this tank of fuel...it was about time to do that anyway.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your going to Jail!! and you truck sold at auction
Just as your Father in-law planned it ;-)

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He posted on another Forum about how much trouble could He get His son In-Law Scott in if He spiked His tank with off road only fuel

So I may not know him ,, but I did see this coming

lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58