Off-road fuel

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a thought this am. ( scary I know). Isn't off-road diesel high sulfur? ( ie we can run it in our older PSD's ( pre 2007 ) without having to add an additive ( and its cheaper)? Or will it mess something up? I have no idea so I thought I'd ask someone who knows more than me, my friends here @ superduty. :D

Anyone tried this? or thoughts on the matter?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Should burn fine...........as will the $10k fine if you get caught. :(

Tbar

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
after talking to a gentleman that runs a station out of New Haven terminal, i was told there is NO high sulfur fuel in the terminal. he was explaining that #2 was low sulfur, and if it was for offroad they throw in some red dye.

i'm sure you can find it somewhere, but i dont think any readily available red fuel would be 500ppm.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should burn fine...........as will the $10k fine if you get caught. :(

Tbar

X2. For the Public.. It's ALL ULSC #2 anymore.

The Only difference between On & Off road #2 is the Taxes and the Color (red).. and the Fine for using the Off Road, On road. A $10,000.00 fine, and it doesn't stop there.. Possible, Impound, Towing, Storage, Admin/Assessment (per gallon) fees.. while you go through the "Process".. If you get caught.... to get yer truck back. (here in Caly anyway)

SOooo.. It just Aint worth it ? Maybe ?

:dunno

Last edited:

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it was just a thought. No such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people :lmao

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it was just a thought. No such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people :lmao

:lmao:lmao The only reason I was so TMI & Wordy about it is, A Cotton Grower friend of mine got caught, several years ago.. with Agra Dezel in his pick-up after being stopped by the Commercial CHP guyz.. only cost him $1500.00 back then..but his Pick-up was subject to "Random Inspection" (Pee Test) for 2 years. :lmao

It's REAL UGLY now though.

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one could get the Off-Road Diesel into their truck without being seen then I wonder how they could get caught?

Just thinking out of the box. For example, if one had a 5er with a diesel generator then they could fill their 50 gallon tank and around midnight, out in the middle of nowhere when no one is watching, do a little transfer into the ole SD. $.25 a gallon times 30 gallons equals $7.50--half a box of beer!

There has to be an ole 50 gallon tank here somewhere.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They stick your tank. At least here in Cali and other states. I don't know about Va. They siphon out a little bit of fuel and test it for the Red Dye. It will stay around for several tank fulls after the initial dose of Red fuel.

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that RED Dye is some strong stuff and it will be around, and is easy to spot by the feds, because they know where to look for signs that it leaves behind.
It's just not worth the cost if you get caught.
Doug

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I did this last fall by accident I was talking to my wife and grabbed the off road hose instead of the on road which was right next to it and then proceeded to fill my tank full of off road diesel. Needless to say my truck was driven alot in the following days to get that stuff out of the truck as fast as I could and I felt like an idiot because it was such a rookie mistake to make.:rant

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg