Off road lights

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, got my ranch hand bumper for Chirstmas and I'm wanting to put some off road and driving lights on it. I would like to go with an LED set-up. But I'm not sure if they would be better (cons/pros) vs the halogen lights. Any input or purchase suggestions is grwatly appreciated;tu

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LED will put out as much or more light than halogen and require less current. My recommendation would actually be HID rather then LED for driving lights. I have LED backup lights and HID driving lights. LED is still a new technology that needs work as far as getting a good beam pattern for forward lighting. When it comes to simple wide, flood beams the LED lights are great.

You can get HID driving lights at O'Reilly's for about $120 per light and I've heard good things about them for the price. My HID Lightforce lights are incredible but expensive.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LED will put out as much or more light than halogen and require less current.

Thats was my exact thinking as well. I also wasn't sure if they could throw a beam out as well as a halogen bulb can. Thanks for the info;tu I get a 30% company discount at Oriellys:D

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
LED off road lights are so dang expensive! They have some cool LED light bars but I like my ole KC's. The SS kc's are awesome! You can replace just the bulbs from any autoparts place. Plus they are waterproof. I got some really old KC sealed beams on my 77 f250 and those things STILL work even though I rarely drive that truck anymore. Maybe the LED offroad lights will come down in price after they have been out for 5yrs or so. These HID's, I dont know much about them. Are they just bulbs? I'd like to get some brighter headlights for my 99. What route should I go?

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
LED off road lights are so dang expensive! They have some cool LED light bars but I like my ole KC's. The SS kc's are awesome! You can replace just the bulbs from any autoparts place. Plus they are waterproof. I got some really old KC sealed beams on my 77 f250 and those things STILL work even though I rarely drive that truck anymore. Maybe the LED offroad lights will come down in price after they have been out for 5yrs or so. These HID's, I dont know much about them. Are they just bulbs? I'd like to get some brighter headlights for my 99. What route should I go?

I have HIDs on my 2002. They are not just the bulb. They have a box that plugsinto the old harness from your stock headlights. That box is a transformer that bumps the power up enough to run the HID bulbs. The kits are all over the internet and ebay. They are very easy to install. Just unplug old bulbs and plug in box and new HID bulbs. I had the bluer bulbs once and they look silly. Make sure you get a kit that is whiter than blue so it looks like its from the factory. They light up the night like you would not believe!!!!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
HMMM im definately gonna look into this. I assume there are cheap kits out there? Basically you get what you paid for?? Any name brands I should look for?

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I cant remember what brand I bought. Its been a couple of years. I think I paid $200 for the whole kit. Im thinking about getting HIDs for the fog lights also!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I def need to polish my headlights. Gettin that haze on them. That would help some for sure.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Ha I just ordered my HID conversion kit for my fog lights! Now the headlights and fog lights will match!! I looked up the Lightforce HIDs and they look nice, but like AK Rover said they are expensive!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58