Question Off road lights

New to Ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new Ford owner. Been with D--ge for the past 19 years. Now I drive a TRUCK !
Anyway, I have the optional upfitter switches and am installing a set of KC Long Range ( 130W) Does anyone know if I can use the truck's 30 amp upfitter switch to run to the KC relay ? I don't see the problem of a relay powering another relay but I may be wrong.
Thanks a lot.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new Ford owner. Been with D--ge for the past 19 years. Now I drive a TRUCK !
Anyway, I have the optional upfitter switches and am installing a set of KC Long Range ( 130W) Does anyone know if I can use the truck's 30 amp upfitter switch to run to the KC relay ? I don't see the problem of a relay powering another relay but I may be wrong.
Thanks a lot.

First off..... Welcome to SDD.com ;tu;tu

Hmmmm.. if my take on your question is correct.. if the relay is rated for >Up To< a 30 amp draw/load, and your KC lights don't pull a >full< 30 amp draw... Powering the relay with a switch rated (fused) at 30 amps would be acceptable.

Most relays don't take/need it's AMP rating.. to operate. They operate on lower amp rated (OEM) wire gauge... and switches..... hence the use and beauty of a "Relay".. vice having to install all of that... heavier wire and bigger switches.... ?

(One (say) 10 gauge wire from the (say) battery.. via a RELAY.. to the accessory.. controlled by a (say) Upfitter Switch ?)

Joe

Ever think about LED aux lighting ? 'lot lower amp draw. :dunno

New to Ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe....thanks for the welcome. After reading your info and reviewing all my auto mechanic skills, I have decided the upfitter switch is very capable of safely powering up the KC relay which in turn will power the lights. I just like to be certain of some things....must be my retirement mode....causing me to THINK more. Or????the price of this truck is making me think it through more ! The LED lights I looked at didn't seem to give me what I want. I drive a particular winding road through a forest setting with lots of big game. Moose,elk,deer,bear as well as all the smaller critters. I have 2 long range and 2 wide range on my Sleekster bar and I feel they will do ( for me ) what the LED's wouldn't. Old school thinking perhaps. Anyway, I just showed my wife the blue oval on the grill and said I was going to get a sign guy to ad discreetly after the letters...F (irst) O(n)R(ace)D(ay). She came up with...really quick too...For Our Retirement Days. Cool !! I looked over your truck info...NICE !! Thanks again buddy.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu

I hear ya on the Retirement Mode ! My problem with Retirement is I'm now so busy being Retired... I don't know how I ever had time to Work :);)

No Harm nor Foul meant.. I respond to posts on here, at times, in a way so that those that are following a question.. who may not understand stuff (yet).. might pick up on a little logic of things ?

If you go to "Settings", at the top of this page.. you can fill out your "Signature" about your truck.. makes it easier to get help.. if you have an issue ?

Again WELCOME ABOARD !! Lots of info and knowledge here.. Nice folks too :sweet

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome New to Ford! As Big Joe said, we are here to help. You can ask questions any time you have them so don't be shy. ;tu

Dave :)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about hooking the KC relay to the battery and just using the upfitter relay to run the trigger wire on the relay. If this is what you are talking about then yeah no problem. The trigger on a relay is very low draw.

Don't discount all led lights. They have came a long way in the last couple of years and are now better than anything out there. I drive truck from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay up the haul road and have used every kind of light out there over the last 20 years. KC lights are old school. HID was the way to go for the last decade. Now it's all about LED. Most our trucks are running Vision X Transporter Led's and Vision X Light Cannon Led's. These lights put out as much as anything out there and draw very little.

On my new F350 I have a Rigid Industries light bar that has a combination of spot and flood led's in the same bar. It covers way down the road from ditch to ditch and floods everything way out to the sides.

We have many moose and caribou to dodge and the led lights are the best for that. Only downside is that they put out very little heat so in the ice fog they build up and become useless.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD.com, we got some great guys and a few gals that are always glad to help.
Post a picture of your new truck when you can.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58