OH NO! 4R100?!

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the truck has never skipped a beat before. She has 126k miles on her. It kinda breaks my heart to see her like this, but I knew it was inevitable. :rolleyes: It happened yesterday on the cruise home from work. Upon normal acceleration from a stoplight, the truck loses all power from the first to second shift. The engine runs fine and no SES comes up. I test drove it again today and it seems as the engine rpm's increase, it comes out of gear. I'm not too keen on the auto trannies so I'm asking those 4R100 guru's out there...What do you guys think? Valve body, torque converter, or whole rebuild?:confused:

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem I had. Diode locked up. Call Brians Truck Shop to confirm. It sounds like time for a rebuild. How is the fluid? High, low or burnt?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock tranny let go around 150K miles....it started to slip shifting from 2nd to 3rd and a day later it was in the tranny shop for a complete rebuild.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine lost second gear at 144,000k when it went. it was weird i couldnt tow any with it. but somehow i was able to get it to shift from 1st to torque, then it would go to 3rd and 4th, then when towin it would just rev up in first and never shift. i went about another 200 miles before i took it in. fun times

dougger222

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mine lost second gear at 144,000k when it went. it was weird i couldnt tow any with it. but somehow i was able to get it to shift from 1st to torque, then it would go to 3rd and 4th, then when towin it would just rev up in first and never shift. i went about another 200 miles before i took it in. fun times

Had the same issue at 83K miles on the F250 drove it that way for a thousand miles. $2K for a Ford rebuild and the other day the tranny has started acting up again. Towing the dump trailer with light load got hot, 250+. Pulled over, cooled off empty got hot, 210.

Buddy changed all the fluids and filters and it shifts ok expect in drive he said and got to 180 tops empty. Thinking at 249K miles it may be time again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14