Question Oil additive?????

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to change my oil in my 6.0 and I have heard good and bad things about adding additives to the oil. Any suggestions and any input on using Prolong Engine Treatment??:dunno

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only used synthetic oils with a by-pass oil fitler kit. I suggest you look away from oil additives and use frequent changes with a quality oil.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't use any of that crap. You don't need it! Use good oil and change your oil at 5000 miles. Your engine will live a long and happy life.

Dave

bocephus87

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
zmax

i'm not sure if it is just used to replace say a quart or something of oil, or what, but i heard it is suppose to help keep soot down in engines. I am leaning towards its not really being all that special, but wondering if anyone has used or heard anything else about it.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Oil Guard by-pass system. Comes with new caps and is a stout unit. As long as you buy any bypass kit it only helps your motor longevity.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer that is [suggested] for the Powerstrokes?

[Suggested], being the operative word ?

An .03 on any Additives could be: If we used all the additives that are suggested or recommended by all the aftermarket additive makers.. We'd have a Primordial Soup.. of stuff in our trucks.

Regularly performed lube and oil changes, using strait.. lubes, oils and filtration that meet (or exceed) the manufactures specifications.. and possibly a secondary filtration set-up, that provides additional PPM filtration....? We're Good To Go Bama.

Joe

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
[Suggested], being the operative word ?

An .03 on any Additives could be: If we used all the additives that are suggested or recommended by all the aftermarket additive makers.. We'd have a Primordial Soup.. of stuff in our trucks.

Regularly performed lube and oil changes, using strait.. lubes, oils and filtration that meet (or exceed) the manufactures specifications.. and possibly a secondary filtration set-up, that provides additional PPM filtration....? We're Good To Go Bama.

Joe

I have never added any thing to the oil, but I have a new quart to add at the next oil change.

As long as that is all I put in the oil, it should be OK, right?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never added any thing to the oil, but I have a new quart to add at the next oil change.

As long as that is all I put in the oil, it should be OK, right?

Sure Bama.. go ahead and add it. I added some Lucas Oil this time 'round.:dunno

I'm not saying all Additives are Bad or Worthless. It's just Mind Bending tho.. when yer stand'n in the "Oil Isle", and see all the additives, and read some of their claims.. when just a good, routine oil change (IMO) is all that's needed.. using engine specific, Oils and Filters.

But then.. I'm an 'Ol Guy..:lmao:lmao:lmao

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58