Oil Bypass ?

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have got my bracket fabbed up to mount my bypass oil filter under the hood where all the oil will drain back to the pan after killing. My question is how much extra oil should I add so that it is running at the correct level when started. I know the level after it has run is lower than letting oil settle out of the engine. Also at what point having it to much will cause problems when starting until the filter is full again. I hope I have explained this to where y'all can understand what I am asking.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I had mine mounted under the hood and guess I never worried about it. I did add about a quart for the filter but never noticed a difference in oil levels either way.
Jim

jimmy28303

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a 2010 f250 and I have been looking at the amsoil bypass filter. The amsoil site says for me, I would need to add 1 extra quart. That would take me from 15 to 16. I guess it would depend on how much oil your truck holds but if you go to their site, it will tell you how much to add depending on which bypass system you have. It should give you a good idea regardless of what brand you use.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Most of our trucks hold 14.5 to 15 quarts of oil. I guess I don't understand your comment about going from 15 to 16 quarts. I buy oil by the gallon so I get 16 quarts ( four gallons) anyway.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ?

With the oil level on the Full mark on the dip stick.. install the by-pass set up.

Drive the truck for a day, or so, to purge the by-pass of any air.

Check the oil level. Add 1 quart.. Start it, drive it. Check the oil level on the dip stick again.

If the oil level is now, any where near the Full Mark.. That's your New.. Full Mark*. (you could make a new Full mark.. with a 3 cornered file, for reference ?)

*unless you want to add oil, by the Ounce.. to bring it up to the Old, full mark ? (PIA, @ OCI, JMO ?)

My .02 ? And what I did 150,000 miles ago ?

Last edited:

jimmy28303

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Most of our trucks hold 14.5 to 15 quarts of oil. I guess I don't understand your comment about going from 15 to 16 quarts. I buy oil by the gallon so I get 16 quarts ( four gallons) anyway.

Dave

I was saying that after I install the bypass system, I have to add a quart. Thats means I am putting 16 quarts in my truck at oil change instead of 15

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was saying that after I install the bypass system, I have to add a quart. Thats means I am putting 16 quarts in my truck at oil change instead of 15

Yes.

Your truck usta take 15 quarts with filter change, per oil change.

Now, with the by-pass system.. with it's lines and an additional filter.. your truck will now need 16 quarts.... [If] you change Both filters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58