Oil change interval question

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i changed at 3k then pretty religiously 5k thereafter. just in feb. had it blackstoned w/ factory oil & ~2250 on it, it came back 100% a.o.k. in there words, run to 5k and re-submit a sample to see if it can run longer. 42800 on it now, it is due to get recheck soon.

snoeproe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i change oil around 7500-8000 km which is 5000 miles. it can probly go longer between oil changes but i like to keep FMC happy considering there is a 5 yr warrantie on the motor. i keep all recieps for oil and do the oil changes myself.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only concern about extended oil changes (i.e. > 7500 miles) is what will Ferd say if you have a problem and they want receipts for all oil changes since birth ????

In fact, on one of these sites someone is saying their dealer said the extra oil filtration system caused his problem :) :) :)

Until it's > 100K miles, I'll do mine under the 7500 mile threshold at least :)

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Excursion LTD 4X4
6.0L motor
March 1, 2003 build date
Original C94 injectors
Only reflashes done - 12/12/04 is latest on PCM
Truck is stock except for coolant filter

67,700+ miles on truck
4,792 miles on oil that was changed out and sampled
Use Rotella-Syn (5W-40) since 50,000 miles
Use Motorcraft oil filters - only.
Use Racor fuel filters only (IH dealer due to lower cost - but Racor made)

My Blackstone report states:
Your wear metals look terrific! This oil was in use 4792 miles, and we found steady and low overall wear levels. You're doing something right when you operate this Power Stroke. We did not find any undue contamination from blow-by or moisture, and the air and oil filtration systems are working well. The viscosity was low, but that's a very common find with this engine. It's not hurting anything. This oil read like a 10W/30, a grade you can run in this type engine. Nice engine! This oil is holding up well for you. You could even run more miles, if you wanted.

Viscosity is low (as all oils are) in the 30 weight range (61.4)

Fuel dilution was <.5 (must be less than 2.0)- I am - good report!!!

Antifreeze is 0 - good thing!!

Water % is 0.0 and should be less than .1 - good report!!

Insoluables were .3 and should be less than .8 (Good report).
------------------------------------------------------------
In speaking with Blackstone tech, he stated that all oils shear down in the 6.0L motor due to the way oil is used to lubricate and fire the injectors, but 30 weight oil is approved for the 6.0L motor so I am good to go... just don't run it hard for "extended drain intervals".

Extended oil drainsis not good. With or without a by-pass filter, the oil shears down and going past 5,000 miles is not good!!! Blackstone says that all oils shear down so frequent oil and filter changes is key!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 162K on my "X" and have traveled over 150K on one oil change with a bY Pass System.
During the first 100,000 miles I sample the oil every 10K with full filter change.
During the next 60,000 miles the oil was sampled every 20K with Full Flow filter changed every 10K and By Pass changed every 20K.
All oil test have came back with good results. I used the 5W - 30 oil.
The only problem during last filter change and sampling the Lube Tech drained my oil.
Some added observation when the engine was 100% synthetic the start time was about 2 seconds for normal mornings. But since the oil drain Rotella 15W-40 oil was intalled the start time now is 3.0+ seconds each morning.

With oil sampling you can travel for many years w/o any problems

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
beachbumcook
you just got to wonder where ford came up with 7500 mile oi change interval?

that shear down is mentioned alot with blackstone and some others.
as hot as it gets here in the summer, i amy jump up to50w and see how it holds up
:dunno

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Hello I have changed my oil at 5000 Miles or less Just made a trip to Colorado with 4200 miles on the oil change Looked so clean on the dipstick, Not like a Diesel, Checked it in colorado Full drove back Home to Texas still clean Ford says 7500 Miles I dont like that but still very Clean Had to stick it twice very Hard to read Clean . So I think Ford might be right in there 7500 Miles I do run Synthetic in my truck Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim