comment Oil change prices

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
What is up with the rate increases? I have always changed the oil in my own truck but for convenience(mine) the wife gets hers changed at Ford quick lube. Use to be like $29.95 or $34.95 but today she tells me it has been on the rise and is up to $80.00. What the heck? This is for a gasser that takes five or six quarts. Guess the convenience is over, time to get on my coveralls.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone is gouging. Just got my company F150 with 5.4 L changed Monday with Castrol Syn Blend Vacuum and wash for $53.

I can change my own in personal 250 with Delvac and Purolator Filter for about $35 but i bought up oil on bogo free and free filters with oil purchases.

:dunno

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
WOW
my dealer for a full synthetic motorcraft oil and filter for the edge was 52 and some change thats 5 qts

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, you gotta remember that Crumm is in Alaska, where everything is more expensive, but even $80 for a 150's 5 quarts still seems way too much.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
In the Gulf region you can park on the beach and drain and refill all for the cost of a filter... :innocent

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealers here is charging $9.95 for 5 QT's and a filters. The service writer said it was killing them and the Co was for sure not making any money off of it. Been going on for 3 mo now.

Doug

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm, you had better go and check to make sure they didn't put 15 qt/s in that thing.
I would call them and ask about that bill for $80.00, that's just unreal.
Doug

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
$80???

That's about what I paid for my 7.3 oil changed about a month ago!!

Add me to the list of people that thinks your wife got taken.

Did you call the place and ask why so much??

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
just FYI..
engine oil prices did go up first of June.. Ashland raised ours $2.00 per gallon...

sounds like the GM of the dealership decided it was time to make money on an oil change instead of loosing it..
-edited to expound further-
oil changes are funny beasts.. everyone wants to offer the lowest one.. we're no exception.. we dropped ours chainwide from $24.95 to $21.95, to $19.95, then to $15.95 to drive traffic. It's been so slow across the country, and no matter what, people think changing the oil, washing it and filling the tank is "taking first class care" of the vehicle (the brakes can be metal to metal and the transmission fluid is mud, but we're "just trying to rip them off" if we suggest servicing them :rant)

anyhow, our techs (yes, I use ASE techs to change oil) get .3/hr to do an oil change.. plus the five oil quarts, and a filter, which some of these canister part numbers might go $11.00, $12.00, $15.00 easy - at MY cost!.. so yeah, $80. is what it would cost if the whole thing was in the proper price matrix for a 30% profit margin..

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Just got home and although I have not seen the bill she did mention they "had" to change the air filter too. Far as I can remember it has not been changed in 50k so it probably needed it. Still seems a bit high. We will check out the bill tonight when she gets home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58