Oil collecting before turbo impeller

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I had my truck at the dealership for some other issues and the tech blamed the loud flapping air noise solely on my aftermarket air filter. So when I got home I put the stock one back on but noticed a pool of oil sitting in the turbo. I know that tube that people have talked about rerouting somewhere else is what causes the residual buildup on the intercooler boots but this is a significant size pool. Needless to say the noise is still there. It used to occur only after putting it to the floor and then releasing the pedal now if I use cruise at highway speed 65+ it does it constantly although it is quieter. It affects drivability because when the noise occurs the truck stumbles especially under load. Am I right to think this is from the turbo vanes opening and closing at the wrong times? It's going back to the dealership on Tuesday and the tech is going to ride along with me before I drop it to them. I thought it was fishy that it was the intake considering it used to only occur under hard acceleration followed by a sudden lifting of the pedal. I read a TSB about this some time ago but didn't worry about it considering it only happened once and awhile.:dunno

Just talked to my old mechanic oil is normal but from what I told him the vanes are definitely sticking. He apparently went round and round a few weeks ago with the tech that worked on my truck over one of their fleet trucks. So he's calling the service writer that he used to work for and going to get everything set up so I get a new turbo. It's nice to know people because I remember saying that it acted like the vanes were sticking. It sounds like this very kind of thing is the reason he no longer works for this dealership.

Last edited:

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
You'll be lucky if you get a new turbo. At the dealers around here they clean and reinstall with a kit from Ford because they are getting cheap and not handing out turbos unless it is junk. Happened with mine. I use the ford additive now and haven't had it stick since. Just my experience.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the stanadyne additive which is the only one recommended by all three manufacturers because they make alot of the injectors. Mine's been cleaned before and it's covered under my extended warranty not the manufacturers so the fact that it's been serviced before I'm going to push that it be replaced it's not on their dime anyway. The fact that the tech the first time around blamed my aftermarket intake gives me plenty of ammunition since it does the same crap with the stock one. Plus a former service tech called the service writer for me already.:rant

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok haven't picked the truck up yet but they ended up replacing the FICM. Could this potentially have been causing the symptoms similar to sticking vanes?:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) has nothing to do with the turbo, only the fuel injection. Sorry.

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right I know it has nothing to do with the turbo but could it have been causing the stumbling and the surging which is what was happening? I should have been more clear on what I was asking.:sorry

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might, but that still sounds like a turbo issue

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep still happening after the wife picked up so I got a new FICM under the emissions warranty free of charge. I swear if this is sticking vanes I want to bash that tech over the head with a tire iron. He says he can't hear it I'm not sure how that is when the sound is followed by a stumble at cruising speed. I troubleshoot cable, electronics and software all day long I love it when people give me information to go on how come this guy can't figure this out. I told my old tech at this same dealership on the phone last week what was going on and he told me almost positive it's the vanes just like I had suspected.:rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58