Oil cooler / EGR cooler repairs

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Well i got my F250, 6.0L oil cooler and EGR cooler replaced and what a difference. I have had a problem blowing rusty (brown) water from my degas bottle. I read numerous threads here and some said that I had a bad head gasket or bad cooler. I took it in and had the oil cooler and EGR cooler replaced and now the truck is running like a dream.

If anyone living in the Southern California area and wants a good recommendation give me a PM for information. This mechanic charged me almost half of what the stealership wanted. I dropped off my truck at 12:00 and picked it up at 3:00. He changed out the coolers, flushed the coolant and changed the oil (and filter).

vailcomp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Also live in San Diego, I have had my share of dealer issues, would appreciate a name. I have used a guy in Santee- he has worked on my sons truck good guy, installed a bipass filter and couple of other things on my 2005 SD. Always nice to have some other source.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
sounds like a coolant filter kit from dieselsite would be good too to keep the coolant clean and not rusty youd be surprised at the amount of stuff in there even with fresh juice in there

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I already plan on adding a coolant filter system. I only need a small piece of hose and two tees.

I just had the coolant drained and refilled again to day. Coolant filter in the very near future.

Last edited:

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I was on my way down to Florida, with my 15,000 Lbs trailer, and after 500 miles my cooling fan kicked in for the first time since I owned the truck. The temperature went to 225 while Idling at a Tole Booth. I stoped at the first Rest Area and added water to the fill line of the Degas tank. I must have added almost 1.5 Gallons of water. I drove 1500 miles after and the level of water was the same and never went down anymore. This morning I drained some water from the rad drain plug and poured it to the degas tank to refresh the top of the degas bottle. The Water and antifreeze mixture was pefectly clear and hardly any dirt was present in the 2 gallons I drained out. I put in a new Cap, hoping its the cap that caused the leak over a lenght of time. I was smelling Antifreeze last summer and kept an Eye on the tank and the level seam to stay steady, but last week I found out that the tank was stained at a level that I was thinking the level was there whithout removing the cover. Everything seam to be well now. The only thing that I think cause the level to go down is the heavy pulling in the hills last summer while the smell happened. Maybe the oil cooler plugged and unplugged by itself because It is not leaking anymore. The other possibility is that I was towing without my programer last summer and now I am using my E-Con programer. Still a mistery to me, but it looking good so far.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Hauled the same load for 1500 Miles while the temperature outside was much hotter, the Temperature of the water was around 198-202, while the load was 45-65 %. Before the water temperature was around 185-190 and the load was about the same. I let it load to 85-90% and 200F before shifting from overdrive. I never push it to hard as it hardly loose any speed in the hills. Usually keep it steady uphill and let go the load to 0% down hill, since I have had this new trailer.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58