Oil Cooler 'Ruptured' (former 911 topic)

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, was hoping I never had to post in this section, but...

Went out to get in my X a few min. ago and noticed a puddle under the engine area. To my horror it was black and slick and a good amount. Upon opening the hood, it appears to have come from the coolant tank! :eek: I think we have a head gasket issue here :doh: Checked the oil and nothing on the stick. Funny think is I remember smelling coolant as I got near my office this morning. I thought to myself, sombody is overheating. It did not seem to be running bad and never gave it another thought, till I walked outside this evening! I have a tow truck on the way to get it to my dealer. Luckily she only has 80k on it and still under the warranty. Question is, how long is this going to take to fix:dizzy What else could have been screwed up? Anything I need to request at the Ford dealer? I did not start it at all once I saw the puddle and don't intend to until Ford sees it.

I also have not posted on here in a while and planned to this week regarding some of my adventures, hate this to be the first one coming back!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Greg. If you came around SDD alittle more ;) you may
have never had this trouble. :tounge

Seriously tho, hope it gets fixed soon.

Which dealer are you taking it too? Team Ford in Marietta, Wade Ford in Smyrna? I know there's more, but those 2 come to mind as being close to you.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Greg. If you came around SDD alittle more ;) you may
have never had this trouble. :tounge

Seriously tho, hope it gets fixed soon.

Which dealer are you taking it too? Team Ford in Marietta, Wade Ford in Smyrna? I know there's more, but those 2 come to mind as being close to you.

Touche' :D I am having it towed to Cherokee Ford in Woodstock. It is right near my house. They have treated me ok so far. We'll see :rolleyes:

thanks for the 'hopes!'

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, upon further research of the problem, I am leaning towards a oil cooler problem at this point, which, is a better alternative... I think :dunno Hopefully they can flush the cooling system out enough after the cooler is replaced!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its oil cooler related <restricted coolant flow thru the oil cooler>
id HOPE they also replace the egr cooler, since its next in line (and
commonly cracked from over heating...aka lack of coolant flow)

install a coolant by-pass filter, when you get the truck back...

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, verdict is in... It is a ruptured oil cooler. They will be replacing the oil cooler, EGR cooler, radiator thermostat and all of the lines that go along with it! They will also be checking the head gaskets while they have her cut open. If those need replacement, I will be requesting studs at that point.:sly All in all (not including head gasket replacement) a $6k repair bill :dizzy according to the service writer. Course, I'm only paying $100 of it :sweet He also wondered if I was interested in the new Ford 200k 7 year extended warranty for $2k. At 80k miles, it is getting awful tempting with repair bill like this one :dizzy Has anyone looked into that one? :dunno

Said I should have it back by the end of next week. I asked him if he would throw in a rental (since my other dealer used to do that) He said he would look into it for me :rolleyes: Dont' hold your breath

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RUPTURED !?! any chance we can
see any photos of that ?

any idea WHY it "exploded" ?

is the "rupture" on the oil or coolant side ?

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RUPTURED !?! any chance we can
see any photos of that ?

any idea WHY it "exploded" ?

is the "rupture" on the oil or coolant side ?

Good idea about the pix! I will check with my service tech. I am only assuming here (and I don't typically like doing that!) that the 'rupture' (that is the terminology that the service writer used, I did not think much about it at the time he told me, to me, a failure is a failure. I will be checking into the cause later) happened on the oil side based on the oil forcing it's way into the cooling system, oil mixed with antifreez was coming out of the degas bottle! There were only traces of oil at the bottom of the dipstick when I checked it upon discovery of the situation. I am very intune to how my engine typically sounds and there was absolutely no odd sounds when this occured. All I can say is that I think it happend right before I shut her down when I got to my office. I will keep everyone posted on this as I tried searching on our forums here and nobody has ever run into this here. Did some searches on some un-named sources :watchout and found some people that have had 'experience' with this situation. I was looking for a good picture or schematic of the oil cooler and how it operates on the 6.0. I can't seem to find one, not even in the 6.0 Bible.

I am going to try and move this from the 911 forum to the 6.0 forum as I don't think it belongs here anymore.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hummm the "service write" said...
so immediately id become suspicious...

was the truck already apart when they told you this was the problem ?

dont see how they would have been able to KNOW it was "ruptured" other wise.

ps60_022_Lubrication_System.jpg

ps60_017_Cooling_System.jpg

ps60_024_Lubrication_System.jpg

Page_017.html

ps60_018_Cooling_System.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58