Help Needed Oil cooler/water pump/new leak

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler/water pump/new leak - RESOLVED

OK...so I'm replacing the orings on my oil cooler because it was leaking on the front side. I figured since I was going to have to drain my coolant, it would also be a good time to change my water pump, since it's been leaking.

I get everything out just fine. I put the oil cooler back in, no problems there. Put the water pump in, add coolant, and I've got a leak. I accidentally put a wire retainer UNDER the water pump body... Took everything back down, no more water leak.

BUT now, I'm leaking oil -- only when running -- out the dipstick nut on the side of the pan. It's like there is a weep hole in that. The oil is literally coming out the side of the nut. If I overfilled the crankcase a bit, would it drip out there? I'm hoping I don't have something wrong and mixing up coolant into my oil... Any ideas? What would you do?

Last edited:

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nut was just really loose. Not even hand-tight... Tightened it up a bit with the fan clutch wrench I rented to do my water pump...no leaky.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on both my trucks i have loosen the nut and slid it out of the way up the dip stick and cleaned around where the nut go's then put a good helping of rtv around it then put the nut back on. no more problems. you must be carefull not knocked it down in the pan but if you leave the dip stick hooked up you should be good

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58