Oil coolers...worth the money?

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
Noticed the ad in the advertisers section for the bar and plate tranny cooler, already got a cooler on the tranny but was wondering about the benifits of cooling the engine oil. Is it worth the time and money, and no I don't do much towing just drivin' around town rompin' on it a little.

alan

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines run cool enough that I don't think it would be worth the trouble and expense. Just my opinion though. Cheers!

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
How's it goin! I still haven't got my AIC going from last winter. I haven't messed with it since last year. I'm still wondering if the lighted led switch I used was causing my problem. All it would ever do is set a cel when I hit the switch. I used the diode on the parking brake wire but to no avail. I guess I'll try a regular switch to see if I can get it to work. It's been cold enough in texas lately to actually use it.

as far as the oil cooler I was just looking at the ad and before I did price comparison, product specs, etc I wanted to know if it was worth my time. Haven't seen any in signatures that I can remember.

alan

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Your engine has a oil cooler on it that was installed at the factory. No need for another one, the stock unit does a great job.

MADVAN

Few Loose Nuts
Reaction score
Yes it would be worth the money!!!
Without my cooler the temps would get as high as 260. With the cooler is runs at 230. I have a 180 thermo to bypass the cooler. Opt temp for oil is 230. One thing these powerstrokes due is beat up on oil. As far as a cooler comes from factory.-----Trans cooler comes from factory!!!---Why add a trans cooler?

My 02
Bill

michael521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could you please tell me were to make the connections for the oil cooler, I purchased a fan cooled unit last year and have not gotten a chance to install it, I was thinking about using the two ports that I hsee people are using for the by pass filter, over the existing oil filter on the block, I also purchased an additional dual oil filter setup that I was going to add in line with the filter, do you think this would have an adverse effect on oil pressure, that is one of the reasons I have not done the installation yet.
Thanks
Mike

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
You guys talking about tranny or engine? Looks back and forth to me.
Tranny cooler, heck yes.
Engine oil cooler, already there from factory and no additional needed.
Rick H...

michael521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was talking about oil, but I also purchased a tranny cooler and filter setup, I know the oil cooler is there from factory, I just figured even thought I only use syn it would help if I could keep it cooler. I have a oil temp gauge , non towing under hard exceleration I do hit 200 deg dso I figured with 8-10,000 in tow the oil could get pretty hot, of course I could be wrong , just wanted to be safe, I also figured with all the configuring I would add a little more capacity.
Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg