New Member Oil cosumption?

USNairdale

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with oil consumption in the 6.4L? Believe there is a much more in depth issue here- improper oil change at the dealer. Just suspecting. Engine holds 15 qts, 4 came out upon the change. Visible metal in filter pleats, oil pan plug magnet covered in metal and multiple oil analysis that show level of metal present is elevated by as much as 1100% over what averages would typically be on a motor of this hrs/miles. 7500 miles. All wear metals are up, especially aluminum (up 500%), copper(extremely at 1100%) chromium (600%), iron(extreme at 725%), lead, tin, nickel, and titanium. Also oil is very boken down with no detergent or additive properties really left. FYI- First oil change at 1500 miles- then I bought it used at that point. Drove 6000 miles or so, did my own oil change and this is what I encountered. Not really optimistic. Tough motor....yes. Damage? I suspect a lot. Any thoughts or direction on what to think.......Thank you.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
First off; :welcome2 USNairdale. You do have major problems. We need a bit more info like year of truck and how many miles does it currently have. I can't see why a dealer would intentionally do an improper oil change, they a would be responsible for the damage.

Dave :dunno

USNairdale

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2009 F-350 Lariat Crew, Older man purchased it new in 2009 and only drove it 1500 miles and then dealer purchased it from him in Dec 2011. Dealer claims they did an oil change at 1500 or so miles when they prepped it for resale. I purchased it off of the used car lot. For sale at the dealer until I purchased it in early Feb 2012. I drove it for for actual of 5700 miles on the oil and went to perform an oil change at my home and this is now my scenario. Vehicle has just over 7500 miles on it currently. Not sure that it was malicious-the oil change that is- maybe a lack of attention to details....not sure. It was towed on a flat bed to the dealer immediately without even being started let alone driven. Oil samples taken, have the results, decision was made at the dealer between management and Ford to have me come pick up the truck and drive it for 3000-4000 miles and look for any oil consumption. Nothing present in the exhaust that can be seen, nor any oil residue on the underside. Possibly feeling a lack of power also at this point. Continuing to monitor that. Seems unresponsive to a certain extent as I merge in to traffic. Related? I am not new to the PSD as I have owned previous models, different motors. Hope this info helps. Any questions, please ask.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
So, THEY are going to monitor your truck. Let them deal with it. -OR- Am I reading this all wrong?

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all this should have thrown a big flag first. Dealer purchased, If a dealer buys a truck or car back there is a under lying problem and the dealer/dealers could not fix it to the customer satisfaction. Did you do a carfax on it?? This should have shown up in the report.

DONT drive it anymore, get it towed to the dealer and take the oil and filter to. From what your saying that motor is shot and getting ready to lock up.

USNairdale

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For now. They want oil samples in 4000 miles, although it appears as they are taking the stance that this is normal wear in and it is not uncommon to use a quart of oil every 700 miles. Because only 1500 miles were put on the truck in 2 years this may be part of the problem. Not sure where they get that, but what I was told. Asked where the 11 courts disappeared to.....they had no explanation. Have not used any noticeable amount of oil in the nearly 1500 miles since I discovered this. Told to bring it in for the next change. They have to do it, I will be present. For now, I guess I continue to drive it and see what happens next. I have a feeling both parties want nothing to do with handling this "issue". Ford says no oil consumption- not our issue. Dealer keeps insisting it will be warranty if there is a problem. No one wants to anything here, although I think they know what may lie ahead.

PS. According to my calculations I should have burnt a quart every 535 miles, so I should be down about 3 quarts. Still full. Hmmmmm.

USNairdale

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Re: Dogman

Dogman,

It was an older gentleman that owned it and was no longer going to drive. Salesman told me he was around 85. Giving up license I suspect. Not a satisfaction buy back issue. Sorry for the confusion.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I would check it every 200 miles or so.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

USNairdale

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No oil consumption.....

To this date there has been no oil consumption that I can report on. Nearly 3000 miles since discovery of this issue. If it was consuming oil, it still should be-correct? Nope it's full. According to the service tech, it must have used those 11 quarts for the "break in"......Really? Absolutely ludicrous......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14