Oil filter change problem

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to beat the real cold and get the oil changed today...pulled the plug and drained the pan, then pulled the filter cap.When I pulled the cap and filter up, I noticed there was a small spring and a plastic plunger sort of thing sitting on the larger spring that stays in the filter housing. I thought it looked odd because it was sitting at an angle there.

The plunger has one little arm that retains the spring, and looks like there could have been a second arm or maybe that is where it was attached to whatever it was attached too???

I've been trying to find some pics...exploded view diagrams or something...no luck yet. I've been changing the oil on it since new and didn't do a thing different that I'm aware of...I sure don't remember seeing this thing there before though.

Anyone got some advice???

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Dan, believe it or not, I have never changed the oil in a 6.0, so I'm afraid I can't help ya..

but I will say one thing... it was working OK the way it is/was, right? So I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I found a few others that have had this problem. I got the replacement part, but then I goofed.

I've got it straightened out, I will have a step by step of how to fix this issue soon. It's really not too bad...just a small PITA and $40 or so to your Ford Parts Department.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14