Oil filter housing

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
came apart........my 04 died last nite...had to put it on the hook ...Dealer just called me and suggested the housing came apart. And to top it off they have a new part in the city. Besides getting hit with something...what would cause this....huh...any thoughts guyz?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
stock housing or the cap?
the plastic cap is known to a be weak link from overtorquing it.
but the alum casting is pretty much bullet proof. unles it had a flaw from the start. got any more details or pics ???

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't have

any further info at this time....this happened last nite..had to get truck towed to a Dealership in Winnipeg (2 1/2 hours away from me) and only have phone info from their service dept at this time. Oil was at full mark with no sign of leakage anywhere although it did smell like oil was hitting exhaust manifild or something hot. Oil pressure guage dropped to zero at low idle but came back to normal as soon as I gave it throttle. There were no sounds of distress at any time. Will let you know more when I know.

Be well!

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ongoing saga

of my 6. Wpg dealership changed the oil-filter housing....didn't aleaviate the problem re oil-pressure at idle. They then pulled the front cover off the engine becuase they then felt it had to be the oil-pump. Duh....wasn't the oil-pump so now they want to drop the oil-pan because they figure the only thing left to check is the pick-up.....jeez...I had to ask them if they had to pull the air-conditioning unit or the radio to check those. I had just had the turbo replaced at my local dealer...twice because the first was faulty. The truck was running like a charm and )(&%^*:cussing: . Anyone got a towel an ol fart could cry in? Anyone else had or heard of anyone that has had similar issues?:confused:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what happened to the truck...what was it doing when it died....
its starting to sound like a high pressure oil pump issue...

you got a dealer that doesnt know what hes doin...that is FOR SURE !

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what happened to the truck...what was it doing when it died....
its starting to sound like a high pressure oil pump issue...

you got a dealer that doesnt know what hes doin...that is FOR SURE !

lol....well, the tech for sure. I told them several times that oil pressure dropped sharply at idle...truck never actually died, just wouldn't start again when i shut it off. Never heard any distressing sounds from the engine but they are now telling me that when they did get it to run a bit that it was hammering and banging severely. There were several others nearby when I shut it down...no-one else heard more than I did. Most techs today survive by the book versus the ol-timers that had to learn by doing and some good ol common-sense...just ain't so common anymore

Be well!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all that bangin' and rough running...and no start...combined w/ the
sharp drop in oil pressure makes me think i could be the HPOP (high pressure
oil pump).

id be willing to bet (and i barely know anything 'bout these trucks)
that the bangin' you heard was the injectors...which btw are operated
by the high pressure oil pump...no HPOP

and w/OUT the HPOP the injectors dont work...and the truck wont
start !

i agree 'bout the tech's...but i gotta put at least SOME blame
on the dealers...they dont invest or train their techs.

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oiling system?

Anyone able to direct a fella to a site that might graphically explain how the 6.0 oil system works? I understand the high pressure controls operation of the fuel injectors and probably my no-start; but am trying to discern why the oil-pressure gauge dropped to zero momentarily. Where is the oil-pressure sensor for the low-pressure side or is there 2; one for each?
This whole series of events is enough to make one a skeptic...the 2 turbo's being replaced within a week, (would have been a day but the shop couldn't get the second repair done right away) First tech quite so had to be done by a different tech)) me picking up the truck and 2 1/2 hours later this happens.
Going to require an oil analysis before they replace engine..jeez

On a positive note: I will have less back problems..will be able to sit squarely on the seat seeing as how my wallet will be empty.

Be well

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14