Oil Filters for 7.3

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a heavy parts truck store today pricing oil filters for my 2002 F350. The counterman had Wix oil filters for $16.00, which he said was about the best oil filter for the 7.3. I have been buying the MC #1995 oil filters for years at WM without any issues. I have no doubt that Wix makes a great oil filter, but is the $6.00 price difference worth it?

Thanks
bot

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ? I've used all kinds of WIX filters for YEARS.. and NEVER had an issue.

JMO but this Whole Paranoia thing about Oil Filters is WAY out of proportion. :lmao

Good stuff ;tu

Joe

Last edited:

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe,
Thanks for your feedback, I'm still not sure the Wix is worth the additional $6.00 over a the MC brand?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry..I mis-read your post bot. Let me say this.. In Fleet applications, the WIX brand filters are very popular. Their filter media meets, or (usually far) exceeds, the individual component parts manufacturers specs. That's mostly why, as you said: the "heavy parts truck stores" carry their line of filters.. you may pay a bit more.. but you can count on.. excellent filtration.

I've used MC, Fram, Hastings and WIX, through the years.. with no fitration caused failures.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I've almost always used fram because I get them at Walmart when I buy the oil. My one oil analysis came back great and suggested I could run more miles. Good enough reason to save the extra 6$ to me.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about Mobil 1 filters? Local store has the 1995 and the Mobil 1 for the same price.:dunno

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
FWIW ? I've used all kinds of WIX filters for YEARS.. and NEVER had an issue.

JMO but this Whole Paranoia thing about Oil Filters is WAY out of proportion. :lmao

Good stuff ;tu

Joe

x2 :sweet

as long as you're not using $1.99 white-box specials from Big Lots (for example), you're fine.

Wix filters are more expensive because they don't mass-merchandise them like Motorcraft & Wally World..

and again, FWIW, NAPA Gold and Carquest Premium (they'll come in a blue, rather than red box) are both made by Wix.
So if you want to check that out, there ya go..

-----edit-----

I watched the video Irace posted the link to..
While I don't necessarily believe in praying to the Great God of Motorcraft, (although some things I refuse to buy elsewhere) he does bring up a VERY VALID POINT.

MATCH your FILTER to the ORIGINAL

any deviation can (and has) cause problems.
I'm not going to tell you it doesn't. Especially on these cartridge filter engines like the 6.0 (and more than a few gas motors)...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14