Oil for 6.0

Moe-B

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sanger said:
I am going to take it to a different dealer on Monday. Don't think I can handle any more B.S. form this dealer.

Good move. If you've taken it as far as you can go at your dealer, I would also send a letter to Ford Customer Service informing them that you were not able to resolve your concern at the dealership level because your dealership appears to own stock in Chevron.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Assistance Center
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Sanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well took the truck to a different dealer and here is what they found bad EBP sensor,EGR value and new turbo run's like day one.
Thanks Guys for your help

FordDieselDog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sanger said:
Well took the truck to a different dealer and here is what they found bad EBP sensor,EGR value and new turbo run's like day one.
Thanks Guys for your help

And perhaps, that is the underlining problem...unqualified, under educated and ill-advised dealers which give the 6.0L the poor reputation.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding oil....

We all need to be using the latest certification which is CI4-Plus. This is a step above the CI4 which is called for in our owner's manuals, but the CI4-Plus rating was developed to address EGR equiped diesel motors and the issue of shearing... both of which apply to our motors!!!

I am a firm believer that running a quality fuel additive for lubricacy and using opil rated with CI4+ is the key. Due to low sulfur fuels and the added benefits of a "cleaner burn", I feel that the additves and the extra soot protection of the CI4+ motor oil is the key.

Not all diesel oils have been reformulated to the CI4+ rating (dino or synth.). I am not going to debate which brand of oil, but using one that meets the needs of EGR valve motors, extra soot control due to the EGR's and reduced shearing is worth using and switching to.

Synth. oils are good and great for the winter, but I would again look for a brand that has the CI4+ rating since it is newer and an improvement over CI4 alone oils.

Why chance it.... heck, why use CI4, when the manual says you can use CH???? So, why not use CI4+ and give your motor the best and newest protection????

Again, good quality additves in the fuel for a cleaner burn and lubricacy and CI4+ oil is the only way to go.

I have 53,000 miles on my 2003 Excursion and still have all 8 of the original C94 injectors!!! I get 17mpg in the city and 18 - 19mpg on the highway.

Good luck to all, but proper oil ratings and fuel additves is the way for these highly engineered motors and the crappy low sulfur fuel that is available.

Thanks,

Jeff

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beachbumcook said:
Regarding oil....

Why chance it.... heck, why use CI4, when the manual says you can use CH???? So, why not use CI4+ and give your motor the best and newest protection????

Again, good quality additves in the fuel for a cleaner burn and lubricacy and CI4+ oil is the only way to go."

Not to jump the gun but just because it is the newest rating doesn't mean it is better than the CI-4.

Some research into the classifications of oil, how and why they were derived is full of good information.

Some upgraded classes of oil actually did worse than their newer counterparts and caused more wear than the older versions. I'm not saying all are like this, just some that were changed to get better emission results, not to get better lubrication.

I wish I remember where I read it, but it was an easy search to find on the web. Sorry.

Synthetics are good oils, but don't forget the dino oils aren't "bad" oils, they are quite good and will make your engine run a long time with proper maintenance.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Invader,

Below is a cut & paste from the web...

CI4+ is backwards compatible and benefits are seen for EGR valved motors and reduced shearing (which everyone's Blackstone reports says the 6.0L does).

All I am saying is why not use CI4+ rated oil versus regular CI4 since it was released after our trucks and manuals were printed. Heck, CI4 was a new oil rating in 2002... what evidence do you have that it is better than CH rated oil??? I do not care what kind of oil (dino or synth.), just use the best rated oil available.

A new engine oil spec--CI-4 PLUS--hits the streets Sept. 1 this year, designed to counteract heavier-than-expected soot loads produced by some 2002 low emission engines. Yet while it’s designed to deal with conditions that are only being created by a small number of ’02 engines, the new CI-4 PLUS formulation could provide some extra benefits to older engine models as well – such as longer drain intervals and better wear protection.

One added benefit fleets may get from using CI-4 PLUS, outside of the high-soot situation founded in certain cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) ’02 engines, is potentially longer drain intervals, says Alex Bolkhovsky, commercial vehicle technical advisor for ExxonMobil.

“This oil is designed to offer more viscosity control, greater soot loading capability, and better shear stability,” he says. “Shear stability and soot handling are the real benefits to a fleet trying to go to extended drains post-’02 – as well as giving them a little more peace of mind that the oil can handle the EGR environment.”

The key, says Gary Parsons, commercial automotive business unit manager for ChevronTexaco, is that oils meeting the CI-4 specification will provide extended drain capabilities in both post-’02 engines as well as older models.

“Oils meeting the spec will be less likely to shear out of grade, i.e. become too thick, which can be a major problem, as thickened oil can lead to increased filter plugging, a decrease in fuel economy, and cold start problems,” he says. “The improved soot dispersion also leads to reduced wear rates.”

Bolkhovsky stresses that, as CI-4 PLUS is fully backward compatible with other specifications and earlier generations of engines, “both older and newer engines will benefit from its use.”

CI-4 PLUS will particularly benefit those operators that have soot or shearing issues in their older trucks, he says.

“It’s especially going to offer better wear control, particularly in guarding against wear at start up, which is where most engine wear occurs,” Bolkhovsky points out. “Older trucks will definitely see a benefit and it could potentially help extend drain intervals since CI-4 PLUS has greater soot handing capability.”

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a cut & paste from dieselman.com site.

Latest Ford TSB on oil type.... Only use CI4 or CI4+ rated oil....

If your brand does not have the rating... I would not use it. "Just as good" comments do not hold up if problems ocurr. Look for the latest rating and enjoy your truck.

Updated: 7-30-05

6.0 Oil Recommendations:
Some trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit hard starting, rough running and lack of power in cold temperatures, particularly on a cold start. This may be due to the oil being to thick for the operating conditions. Ford is recommending to use the following oils for the listed operating temperature.

SAE 15W-40 is the preferred oil above 30 degrees, but it is acceptable for use down to 10 degrees, and is recommended for towing down to this temperature.
SAE 10W-30 is the preferred weight between -10 to 30 degrees.
SAE 5W-30 and 5W-40 is acceptable for use below 30 degrees, and 0W-30 is acceptable below zero.
(All temperatures are in Fahrenheit.)
The oil used should meet Ford's specification of WSS-M2C171-D or API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4/SL or DHD-1. CH-4 is acceptable for use if CI-4 PLUS is not available. TSB #05-16-6.
Keep in mind that CI-4 oil is designed for the increased soot contamination and higher coolant temperatures of cooled EGR systems on a diesel; CH-4 is not.

COMMENTS FROM DIESELMAN SITE:
Nowhere does the TSB mention synthetic versus conventional oil recomendations or ranges.
Ford has not released anything recommending NOT to use a specific brand of oil.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
COMMENTS FROM DIESELMAN SITE: Nowhere does the TSB mention synthetic versus conventional oil recomendations or ranges.
Ford has not released anything recommending NOT to use a specific brand of oil.
I'm not sure, but does anyone make a 5W40 that is not synthetic?
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14