Oil in coolant reservoir.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I have drops of oil floating in my degas bottle in the morning when the coolant is cold (it floats on the top as globules). The only way I can think it got there is when I changed my coolant bypass filter and may have over oiled the gasket allowing a bit of oil to circulate throughout the system. To remove it, when the engine is cold I have disconnected the top hose on the degas bottle and tried to float the globules of oil out by adding 50/50 coolant until it flows out. I've done this for the past two days, but am not sure it's all gone. Fortunately, oil is lighter than coolant and I believe there is none in the system when cold because of this.

Is there a better way of removing the floating oil globules (visible only when the coolant is cold) than my method?

Is this dangerous for my engine?

Are there other possibilities of how it got there? :dunno

Doggy Daddy

"Junior Member"?? OUCH!!
Reaction score
There are products for removing oil from the bilges of boats that don't absorb water, I guess you could try fishing one of those around in the tank to grab the oil.

It could also be from the oil cooler on the side of the block. It is not uncommon for the O-rings inside to start leaking and the oil has higher pressure than the coolant. I suppose it is also possible that a head gasket might be leaking but that seems less likely than the oil cooler.

Don't forget the Supplimental Coolant Additive when you are done flushing.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
FYI, I'm talking about a few drops of oil not a film. Yes the oil cooler is a real possibility, but the coincidence of me changing the bypass filter three days ago and seeing oil the past two days is too strong to ignore.

If it was the oil cooler, wouldn't I see a film of oil rather than the few drops?

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Use a turkey baster to suck it out. I would suggest you wait until after the little woman is done with the turkey.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Use a turkey baster to suck it out. I would suggest you wait until after the little woman is done with the turkey.

Yeiks...turkey fat and motor oil in my degas bottle? :D Unfortunately the degas has compartments and a baster won't get it all. I like the above suggestion of using an "oil only" pad and floating it in the degas bottle. Then once oil free, I'll keep an eye on it for more globules that may form.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
it wont hurt anything leaving it in there.some garages will dump oil in the radiator to lube the waterpump.why?i dunno sinc the water pumps have a sealed bearing but i guess its the thought that counts.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would clean the baster with solvent first and then throw it in the tool box and buy momma a new one. The oil absorbent pads like these will work but you have to buy them in bulk. Since you only need a chunk of one pm me your address and I will send you one unless you need a case. I have stack of them.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I would clean the baster with solvent first and then throw it in the tool box and buy momma a new one. The oil absorbent pads like these will work but you have to buy them in bulk. Since you only need a chunk of one pm me your address and I will send you one unless you need a case. I have stack of them.

Thanks for the offer. New turkey basters cost $.99. :D

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The little bit of oil from the coolant filter where you lubed the gasket isnt' going to cause a problem. the turkey baster or simply drian the degas bottle while it's cold and then refill it and you're good to go.

If it was the oil from the coolant filter it will be light as I'm hoping that was fresh oil the oil from the oil cooler would be dark the same as your engine oil.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
BJS said:
If it was the oil from the coolant filter it will be light as I'm hoping that was fresh oil the oil from the oil cooler would be dark the same as your engine oil.

FYI the engine oil was changed 300 miles ago, the same day I changed the coolant filter so the globules are amber/clear not sooty/black. The color won't tell me where it came from because of this. I kinda like the idea of a 2" X 3" piece of an "oil only" rag floating in my degas. :thumbs :D When I shut off my truck I'll rock it sideways to mix up the coolant then float an oil only on the coolant and check it the next morning. Sure beats tossing out 1+ gallons of coolant only to find the oil clinging to the inside walls of the degas.:cussing: :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58