Help Needed Oil leak at rear of engine and in exhaust.

tcboss427

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Greatings! I've been lurking here for a year or so and have gotten myself into a situation where I could use some assistance.

To start with, I have an 01 F250 Auto 2WD SC SB. I have done most of the mods that are recommended on here including: Zoodad, Ford AIS intake, HPX, Shimmed FPR, Strictly Diesel in-tank mod with filter, and 4" Magnaflow exhaust from turbo back with muffler, Stock ECU, and pretty much stock everything else.

Alright, on to the problem...I was doing some work under the hood the other day, working with my last batch of parts. I r&r'd the old intake box for the AIS and pulled the hot side CAC tube and removed the foil and cleaned the boots (pain in the butt!). I reinstalled that and got onto the CCV modification, by removing the stock intake tube and replacing it with a leftover piece of exhaust tubing and rerouting the hose through a Steeda air/oil seperator that I got from Summit (they sell it for boosted Mustangs) and then back into the intake tube pre-filter.

After driving the truck for 10 miles (mixed freeway, city), I noticed it was producing alot of whitish smoke under accel, and that it was not running quite as smooth as before, but attributed this to having the battery disconnected and the ECU relearning....well when I finally got home and stopped to open my manual garage door and finally pulled in, there was a sizeable puddle of oil under the truck and it was smoking while it was idling (was dark at this time so couldn't see the smoke when I was driving home from the restaurant). I suspected the CCV mod was too restrictive and causing oil to push out of the motor, so I disconnected it and just had the tube venting under the hood till I got to the shop today to do an oil change and address the issue. While under the truck trying to locate leaks and clean things up, I noticed that the slip joints on the exhaust all had small pools of oil sticking to the bottom of them, and even seemed to be a small trail of oil coming down the down pipe. Now after reworking the CCV mod for less restriction, I have not gotten any more large puddles of oil under the truck, with only some slight weepage at the trans inspection cover area, but this oil in the exhaust has me concerned as it would have to be something internal. I would hate to think that driving for 10 or so miles with a restricted CCV could possibly have done serious harm to the engine, but just don't know. Any similar experiences out there? Anything else I should be looking at??

I apologize for the book, but wanted to make everything as clear as possible.

Many Thanks!

Brian

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ccv

Welcome to SDD Brian ;tu

I'm thinking yer oil & smoke issue Are... your CCV Mod, related.

As you know, and as most here @ SDD would agree.. the CCV set=up on the 7.3's leaves much to be desired.. due to the oil in the charge tube, in the I/C and boot saturation issues. It's a given.

My .02 ? Doing the (unfamiliar to me) CCV Mod you did, caused Oil, AND, heavily oil laden vapors to go into the intake. A bit of it burned off during combustion, but not much/enough= the Smoke. The rest of it collected in the exhaust system= the Drips.

When you disconnected it and vented it off into the engine bay area.. Oil coalesced from the vapors= the Puddles.

All as you've described.

Just my .02, but at this point ? You may not have hurt anything. Time Will Tell. It'll take some time & miles for the oil to dry up and dissipate... Drive it for a few days, keep an eye on things... Let us know how it goes ?

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14