Oil Leak Found. What is this?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have found where my oil leak is coming from. On the bottom side of the valve cover on each side is what appears to be a wiring harness that goes into the engine or valve cover at each cylinder. I am assuming there is an oring or grommet for each point that it is inserted. What is this called and what do I need to replace to stop the leaks?

View attachment 12837View attachment 12838

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is called the Under Valve Cover Wires. They go to the glow plugs and injectors. YES they leak and you have found it. Replace the valve cover gaskets with new FORD parts kit and you will be good.

Dave ;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you need both the upper and lower gaskets. The wires are sandwiched in between them, I THINK. I don't have my laptop running and can not check my Ford Repair Manual on disc.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Smoky, PM me your email address and I will send you what I find off the DVD. Click on my name and chose Send PM.

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey Smoky, I checked on my Ford Service DVD and there is no gaskets for the valve cover. They suggest using Ford RTV and bolting it back on. I have never had mine off, so I don't know for sure.

Dave :)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are valve cover gaskets an upper and a lower one. The problem is the glow plug wiring harness. The electrical plugs that snap over the glow plug have an o-ring on the part that snaps down into the head. That is what seals the oil off. I just bought both sides. $57 per side. I will send pictures later.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This is not on a 6.0 engine. The glow plugs are not under the valve cover. Must be a 7.3 engine.

Dave :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg