oil leak from filter housing after over heating

adgillis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What kind of damage would force oil out of the filter housing? The cover is tight as described below and it has been about 4000 leak free miles since my last oil change. So I am a bit alarmed after my wife drove the truck yesterday with periodic overheating. Any insights appreciated.

Backgound: The wife drove the truck (2005 6.0L) 30 minutes with periodic temperature spikes under acceleration and faster driving. Turns out the truck was low about 1.25 gallons on coolant. When checking the truck out this morning from a cold start I was dismayed to see oil being forced out of the oil filter housing (at the seal of the lid). The curious thing was that I opened the hood immediately after starting the and the oil was just starting to leak out onto a very clean filter housing. The wife had not loosened it. In fact, it was on very tight and could not be made any tighter with a wrench. Oil level in pan was not above normal but instead a bit low.

It does appear to run smoothly and does not smoke.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. What you have described sounds like blown head gaskets. The over temps on acceleration, and the loss of coolant are the key indicators. To confirm this you will want to get some coolant test strips that check for combustion gasses in the coolant. A good auto parts store should have them.

Dave

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a stock oil filter cap and Motorcraft filter plus you need some gauges that work not the ones in the dash when they move it is to late.
2 stroker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg