oil leak, from hpop

journeyman17

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i'm new to the forum but i have read a few others having the same problem, i thought i had a bad rear main seal but just like alot of other guys after looking a little harder it is coming from the hpop area. i will tear into it tomorrow but i just wanted to get some opinions of what usual leaks around that area and if i have to replace the hpop what would be a good upgrade. i certainly don't want to just replace parts without upgrading.. thanks

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Last edited:

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem and the stupid ass mechanic that I once used changed the main seal... twice... Didn't help! So he just put a blanket in the V-valley to soak up the oil and make me happy...until some time had passed and the blanket was saturated. What about that!:rant

Anyway, does anyone have some blueprints or something of the hpop and hpop area?

Thanks.

BTW i came across a vid explaining some of the common 7.3 leaks and how hpop leaks can look a lot like a bad main seal.

7.3L LONGEVITY LEAKS 1 OF 2 - YouTube

journeyman17

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
right on thanks to all that replied.. i fixed it last week, tracked the leak to the back of the hpop, i can't even beleive it but it all that oil was coming from a block off plug on the back of pump that the o-ring had failed and the plug was finger tight.. took it out opened my harbor freight o-ring kit, new ring put plug back in and i'm golden

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58