Help Needed Oil Leak in 2000 Excursion 7.3

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
If it is a manual tranny, it is brown oil. Unless it's factory filled with ATF, then it's red. If it is an automatic tranny it will be red. Unless it's half-burnt up oil that needs changing, then it's brown. Fill out your signature so we all will know what you drive. Go to the Quick Links on the TOP BLUE LINE and click on Edit Signature. Fill it out with your year of truck and what options you have and any modifications. This will stop this kind of questions.

Dave :)

fixed it for ya.. :tounge

The trick would be in the smell.. if it smells like fish, it's gear lube (brown). If it's ATF (red), it'll smell like asphalt.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks JL. I was thinking about the burnt oil when I wrote it, but I didn't want to further confuse the issue. I don't recall what the tranny used in 2000. My guess is ATF, but I am not sure.

Dave

ptweetstraw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I will get under it again tomorrow and get some samples of the liquid and also check those bolts. I am going to also take some pictures of where it is dripping from so I can show them as well. I better get all of this done because it looks like we are going to be in for some more cold weather this weekend here in Kansas City.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14