Oil Leak :(

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On my 99 f-250 I was changing the oil for the first time since it became mine and I noticed I seem to have an oil leak coming from up high on the block and appears to be in the area where the engine and bell housing meet. At first I thought rear main but then noticed drips on the starter mount indicating it is comming from above there.

Is there any comon leaks that occur high on the block like that? It had not lost any noticable oil sinch the oil was changed by the dealership when i bought it.

Jeff

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Is it oil or diesel? Do you have oil in the valley on top of the engine? What do your rubber intercooler hoses look like?

Tbar

CHPMustang

Reaction score
There's a High Pressure Oil line plug on the bag of each cylinder head that is a possibility.I've gotta do the ones on our 7.3L one of these days:rolleyes:

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that's where it is coming from? Could it be from the top of the oil filter? I had kind of the same leak on mine and it ran back and dripped down the front of the bell housing. Ended up being my oil filter had rattled loose after 4700 miles! i caught it in time. Check yours and see if it might be loose.
:drive

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Rio_Grande said:
On my 99 f-250 I was changing the oil for the first time since it became mine and I noticed I seem to have an oil leak coming from up high on the block and appears to be in the area where the engine and bell housing meet. At first I thought rear main but then noticed drips on the starter mount indicating it is comming from above there.

Is there any comon leaks that occur high on the block like that? It had not lost any noticable oil sinch the oil was changed by the dealership when i bought it.

Jeff

Like TBar said, check to see if there is any oil in the valley on top of the engine. There is a drain hole at the back of the valley. Leaks from turbo pedestal O rings, HPOP lines and/or turbo/intercooler boots drain down the back of the engine through this hole and make it look like a rear main seal at first glance. If there is some oil in the valley - clean the engine with some simple green or something similiar to help pinpoint the leak.

A pretty common issue

Let us know how it goes...:sweet

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also could be a turbo pedastil leak, not as common but...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim