Question oil leaks again ?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all
Had my HPOP replaced recently. Had my internal oil pump replaced before that. Suppose they replaced o-rings on HPOP...

Got lots of oil (big drip, not a flood) on back frame members and seems to be coming down the weep hole. Degreased valley, no puddles towards front, and dry. Oil returned on back of engine and on underside. Added the dye at dealer today, and will return tomorrow for inspection.

What should I anticipate, ask, expect, etc??? Thanks! :notworthy

PS: gonna run some hard miles in towing next week, we're moving! Time is short. :dizzy

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the oil rail gallery plugs on the back side of the engine near the top? When an o-ring failed on my driver's side, it drained down the back of the engine and through the weep hole. Took me a long time to track it down. I was able to wipe the area dry and feel the oil seeping out of the plug on mine. The plugs are about 1 1/2" diameter with a 1/2" square for breaker bar in the middle. The plug w/o-ring only cost $7 at the dealer and less than 30 minutes to replace. Hope this helps!

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds logical! How do I check...do I remove the valve covers to get to them? Is there one per side? I actually have a set of the o-rings from a recent visit to IH.

Thanks! :sweet

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is one on each side of the back of the engine (on top) and I think there are two in the front of the oil gallery as well. You have to feel for them as they are in a tight spot. You don't have to remove the covers. Just look for what looks like a round casting just inside the valley on each side at the back next to the valve covers. Put your hand back there and you'll feel the square drive recess.

Also, when I got mine, they said I needed to buy the plug with the o-ring as the design had changed to improve the seal so a new seal wouldn't fit the original plug. Good luck!

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - it is seems to be the turbo pedestal o-rings. The galley plugs suggested by RandyH are all dry. The ford tech told me he's seen these go for 400k, so I bet my new BANKS downpipe install had something to do with this new leak...

What do you think it's gonna cost? Bets??

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said. Missing an o-ring on reinstall of turbo from exhaust upgrade. Ouch.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question

MBRPCrazyFord: Well...that is an excellent question. But disclaimer, I didn't do any of this myself, I had intended free up my time for my big move (next week!).

So I had a shop do the Banks exhaust install a few weeks ago (including the 4" downpipe). I guess they didn't read the directions too good, or thing didn't line up well, or both. I had assumed that they just wrenched on the pedestal too hard and caused the leak, but the Ford technician yesterday said one of the 4 o-rings was missing....which leads me to believe the first shop took off the turbo. They're good guys, but .... well, what can I say. Pricey bad judgment on my part. :dunno He also said all else was dry, no galley plugs leaking or anything else. And, that getting the turbo off was a real pain with the Banks power elbow install, there was only 1 way to do it and he "liked to never got it back together".

It's still dripping oil, and I've already packed up my hoses so I can't degrease it again. Hope it is just residual from the repair.

PS: with all the threads lately about how we can't afford to drive on account of high fuel prices, hey, I'm going to be happy to burn up a few hundred gallons -- at least the wheels will be turning as the money flows!!! :eek: (trying to make some lemonade here!!!)

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left my truck in KY!

Can you believe it? I took the truck back to Ford, it was still leaking. On account of some family medical problems they couldn't get to it and so...I had to borrow my buddy's Dodge for the move. Ouch! :dizzy

Oil issues since March:
1. front (internal) oil pump -- replaced
2. HPOP -- replaced
3. Turbo pedestal o-rings -- replaced

Engine analyses always come back super fine, no excess metals or fuel or coolant.

I will have to make another run when it's "fixed"...I think RandyH is right, oil rail galley plugs are logical. Or is there anything else I should ask them to check? Today is the day! Thanks!

(Gotta update my signature, I'm moved to Savoy IL)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Did you check the oil rail gallery plugs on the back side of the engine near the top? When an o-ring failed on my driver's side, it drained down the back of the engine and through the weep hole. Took me a long time to track it down. I was able to wipe the area dry and feel the oil seeping out of the plug on mine. The plugs are about 1 1/2" diameter with a 1/2" square for breaker bar in the middle. The plug w/o-ring only cost $7 at the dealer and less than 30 minutes to replace. Hope this helps!
You say when your gallery plug failed now did it oil down like the Valdez or was it like a few drips a down the side of the block to the oil pan?

I don't recall any TSB's on the plugs but I know we've had a pesky oil leak for years and replacing both plugs was a thought just to eliminate them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14