Oil Pan Ideas

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
Im coming up on my second oil change, and want to do it myself. I took it to the dealer for the first change, and dont want to spend that much again. Im not sure what to use for an oil pan. I dont want to pull the plug and find out that my pan wont hold 15 quarts. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :thanks

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I have a five gallon clean paint bucket, I then cut off the top two inches down to the last fat rib that goes around the pail, fits right under a 2wd dually just fine, my 92 250 4x4 i could put a full size 5gall pail under it. you may or may not have to adjust the ht. as needed, but it gives you about 3' clearnace between the drain nut and the pail.

then i pour the waste oil into cat litter or used oil cans and take it to the place i purchased the oil.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
You can use 2 normal drain pans and let one drain into the other. E.G. tip the one filling into another empty as its draining. I would consider buying a Fumoto valve. Also, if you put the truck on good solid ramps a spackle bucket or "Homer" bucket will work.

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
I like the 5 gal bucket idea, and I think that the fumoto valve will deffinatly make things easier. thanks guys

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
DragonSlayer said:
not sure i like anything "quick" keeping oil in my truck
See the valve before you judge. Makes oil changes real clean and easy. :cool: :confused:

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 15 quart round seal able pan from the auotstore ( there cheap.) and a 9 quart square one...I use the round one for the oil pan and the square for the filter, then i either take them to the auto store since they recycle oil or transfer them into milk jugs and use them again so i can lleave the house and dump them later....i dont really loose any oil only around a quart or less in 3000 miles and my oil stays clean,
So when i go to refill it I just put in 4 gallions instead of the 15 quarts...I dont think that can hurt anything since it is a huge sump...Also make sure you pre-fill your filter it will take 1 to 2 quarts to fill it, and give it time it does soak in...
I found i can get 6 gallions in a case 15w40 rotella at the local costco, it's a wholesale club store for $42 and the filter is 8..so i have 2 gallions left over buy another case and I have 3 changes worth of oil, works out good for me since i do the 3000 instead of the factory 5000...
The Filter is tight, need to put some ump behind it...takes alot of pressure to tighten it down, unlike a gasser,,,so dont be surprized if you toghten it and start and see a leak and have to tighten it a little more

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350DRW1 said:
See the valve before you judge. Makes oil changes real clean and easy. :cool: :confused:

yeah, i know its easy and clean, but its good piece of mind to tighten that old plug up...just my take...love the gate on your truck...:sweet

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
DragonSlayer said:
yeah, i know its easy and clean, but its good piece of mind to tighten that old plug up...just my take...love the gate on your truck...:sweet
Thanks about the gate. That valve is a work of art, Slayer. Check one out. The lever has about 10-12 lbs. of spring tension on it, and it seats in a detent about 1/8 of an inch. I was skeptical, believe me. But you have to pull the lever down out of the detent and then pull forward. Its pretty well designed. I drain directly into old oil containers; no more drain pans, no more splashing, no more oil on the hands. You thread in the valve with a washer they supply, tighten, and done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl