Oil Pan Replacement

Chuckster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have '99 7.3 and oil pan is leaking from a rust spot...heard that you must pull engine out to replace pan!!! Also heard that this is somewhat a common problem... Anyone heard anything like this?? Searched forum for any info on "oil pans" and came up dry...

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
On my 97 F super duty we had to pull the motor to get the pan off so I would emagine yours is close to the same.

Chuckster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of...my source was pretty reliable... just couldn't believe it!!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad is the leak?

My flywheel inspection cover rubbed a hole in my pan, the shop was able to use some of the IH silicon on it and it hasn't leaked yet...may be a good temporary solution depending on how big/rusted the spot is.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge you have to remove the motor or lift the motor up about a foot off the motor mounts to install a new pan. I have seen several different 7.3's with rotten/ leaking pans.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Has anyone come out with a galvanized or aluminum oil pan or made of something else of a high resistance to corrosion? It's something that's definately needed and will sell for sure.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you'll notice that the OE pan is grey, the replacement will be black... there is a difference in the coatings...
Ford figured this out a while ago on their gassers... looks like Navistar didn't get the memo...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll notice that the OE pan is grey, the replacement will be black... there is a difference in the coatings...
Ford figured this out a while ago on their gassers... looks like Navistar didn't get the memo...

That's odd--the OEM pan on my '02 PSD is black. Admittedly, I haven't live in places that salt the winter roads heavily, but it looks as good as new.:D

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02's OE oil pan is also black. It see's salt for at least 5 months of the year and still looks like new.

JRJ04

Reaction score
the pan on my '02 is black as well. it gets exposed to salt air all the time down at my beach house and doesnt show a bit of corosion at all. now it does get thoroughly rinsed everytime i come home, but still.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14