OIL rating?

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
Does anyone know the min. temp of rotella 15w40?

Do you guys in the north go to a different weight oil when it gets real cold? If so, what?

I have a HELL of a time starting my truck after it's been sitting for 8-10 hours. the lows have been in the teens. I am not always able to plug it it.

bump_r

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I THINK you are supposed to switch to 10W-30 below 20 deg F.

I'll double-check my owners manual tonight if you like.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in my trucks as well as synthetic media oil filters.

Walmart carries it for about $17 gallon, Tractor Supply also carries it for about $18 - $19 gallon. Made a huge difference in cold starting on my 2000 7.3 because it doesn't turn into molassis like dino oil so it cranks easier and it's easy for the lube pump to start filling the HPOP resevoir.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
this could turn into a huge debate, but heres my .02cents.............

why change the viscosity of your oil when it gets cold? when the engine starts, and is running at 190*, it will be running at 190* whether it is 200 or 2 outside. if its running cold/hot....dont change the oil, change the cooling system.

if it is so cold that it wont start without being plugged in, i dont think thick oil is your problem. it could be weak batteries that arent able to heat up the plugs. i went through an entire winter with dead batteries. they had enough amps to crank the engine all day long, but not enough voltage to get the plugs hot, so if i wasnt plugged in it wasnt starting.

my truck currently lives at a place where i cannot plug it in, ever (sucks!). i havent run anything but delo400 15w40, and mobil delvac 15w40, and on the coldest new england day, it starts right up.

i dont think it would hurt anything to go one step thinner, but i dont think it will help either.

now, stay tuned for an angry mob of "thin oil runners"........

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
OK, but synthetic is actually cheaper to run. You only pay more up front for it.

are you talking about longer oil change intervals?

I "heard" that running synthetic in high mileage motors in not preferred. And don't they recommend more oil analysis'

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
no company that i work with recomends any full synthetic oils. CAT, Cummins, Detroit, Mercedes, and Mitsubishi all run the mobil delvac, or delo. the delo is a semi synthetic, but the synthetic part of it is a TINY drop of some synthetic additives, the rest is conventional oil.

Rotella (conventional) is on the same level, they just have a really good advertizing campaign and have won over just about every owner operator on the road.

CAT "forbids" the use of synthetic in the 3126 (and acert C7). these engines are heui engines just like our strokers, and we see a lot of problems when harry truck driver changes his oil and puts in the "good synthetic stuff" and now his engine wont run right. a lot of the synthetic oils are "spongy" and dont have the hydraulic properties needed to run the HEUI injectors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58