Oil smell in cabin after highway driving--ideas?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
After driving the truck on the highway, particularly after pulling a load, I get a relatively strong smell of oil in the cab once I come to a complete stop. I don't appear to have any oil leaks, but the smell is definately hot oil.

-If you remember my post from a couple months ago, I had a problem with my bypass filter that blew all the oil in the crankcase on the passenger side of the engine THREE TIMES. I've cleaned the engine bay since then and removed the bypass system.

-I don't get the smell while driving, just when completely stopped.

-Ford changed the CAC valve about a month ago because they said it was leaking; they cleaned it out and re-installed it, stopping the "leak."

-Oil level is and has been fine, I don't notice a change in the dipstick markings.

-I can't check for DTC's because my SCMT is still at Superchips getting updated after my reflash. Before I shipped it, I was getting three EGR codes (P0404 and two others:confused: )

Any advice before I bring it to the dealer? I'm thinking of getting the front end aligned and checked before RV season starts, so I'll probably have them check out this problem too. I'm thinking something in the engine may still be soaked with oil after the bypass filter fiasco, but I want to make sure I don't have a problem.

Ideas?:dunno

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the ccv mod done to your rig mine does this when I come to a light after getting off the freeway. Others have ran this line into the exhaust or extend it past the cabin area.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
police stroker said:
Do you have the ccv mod done to your rig mine does this when I come to a light after getting off the freeway. Others have ran this line into the exhaust or extend it past the cabin area.

Is the CCV mod just for 7.3's? Either way, I haven't done it to my truck.

Reaction score
I'd have to think that you have oil somewhere still getting burned off - check around your heater/ac coils and near the grill at the top for your cabin air intake. Doesn't the EX have a cabin air filter? If it does maybe it needs changed also.

Ron

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
After driving the truck on the highway, particularly after pulling a load, I get a relatively strong smell of oil in the cab once I come to a complete stop. I don't appear to have any oil leaks, but the smell is definately hot oil.

I had this problem, too. Mine seemed to start after I had an oil change. I though maybe it was oil burning off after some spillage. I have had it into the dealer for a injector replacement since, and they never said anything about a leak. Changing out the gasket seemed to alleviate the problem, but I only drove it for 2 weeks and now it's in for another injector replacement. I'll be able to get a better "smell" once I get it back and can drive it for a while. Maybe its a leaking valve cover gasket? I know you said you didn't see any leaks, but take a good look in the engine valley.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
I'd have to think that you have oil somewhere still getting burned off - check around your heater/ac coils and near the grill at the top for your cabin air intake. Doesn't the EX have a cabin air filter? If it does maybe it needs changed also.

Ron

I don't think it has a cabin air filter; if it does, I'm not finding it on my DVD or anywhere else.

Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
I don't think it has a cabin air filter; if it does, I'm not finding it on my DVD or anywhere else.

Hmmmm - thought they did - maybe it's the Expedition I'm thinking of and not the Excursion . . .

Ron

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Hmmmm - thought they did - maybe it's the Expedition I'm thinking of and not the Excursion . . .

Ron

According to a few (validity unknown) websites I searched last night, the 7.3 has a cabin filter, but not the 6.0. It's a nice day outside so I'm going to go poke my head around and see what I can break....er...find.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58