Oil specs, Oil change and HPOP

dpantazis

Reaction score
rray32539 said:
An oil rated CG-4/SH is rated for both a diesel and a gasoline engine. The current highest rating for a diesel oil is CI-4.

The American Petroleum Institute explains it all:

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/ACF2AF.pdf

RRay-

Thanks for the link, it makes for good info.

The piece that is still a mystery to me however, is the blurb in the owners manual that says you have to use a DUAL rated oil.

What/why does it have to be CG AND SH rated as opposed to singularly CG?
(and when I say CG, I am trying to be consistent with the manual, understandign the current spec is CI and SL)

Dennis

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think what you are talking about is a 10w30 oil which is a dual rated oil. 10 weight for starting and 30 weight for hot running. Straight 30 wieght is a single rated oil. Don't get all confused with the API ratings of CI and SH and such.

Dave

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
If you read the specs on the API pdf, you'll see that the SH spec is obsolete which may be why you can't find any. My guess for the dual rating, looking at what each rating means, is looking at the current rating SL, which provides better high temperature deposit control and reduced oil consumption, possibly due to additives. This rating, along with the newer diesel oil ratings, can be safely used in your truck. Remember, you can go to a higher rating in OIL, but not to a lower rating. Try a CH-4/SL rated oil.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
I think I figured it out

I also posted to the other site and I think i got my answer.

The C spec is for diesels and it seems was originally for normally aspirated diesels.

The additional requirement of S rating is because of the turbocharger. the addition of the turbo creates more demands on the oil and that is served by the second classification.

dennis

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
I am going to change oil in my truck soon for the first time. 2000 7.3 PSD, 88K miles.
Sounds like you got most of your answers but I thought I would add that 88,000 miles is a lot of miles to go between oil changes. I would recommend cutting it back to a maximum of 5,000 miles and even better at 3000. I go 5000 but I run synthetic which by the way synthetic will change the character of the truck which is what you said you wanted to do. Just switching brands and weights won't change much but you will notice a difference with the synthetic.

dpantazis

Reaction score
Clarify

Crumm said:
...that 88,000 miles is a lot of miles to go between oil changes. I would recommend cutting it back to a maximum of 5,000 miles and even better at 3000. ....

Crumm-

sorry if my post was confusing. the truck is new to me, i bought it used from a local ford dealer. the current mileage on it is 88k.

i do not know the entire service history on the truck. i do know that the original owner was a buddy of the diesel service tech at the dealer, and that he worked on the truck eclusively. oasis and the for service history program show no owrk under waranty other than recal items. i have spoken to the tech and he said that the truck had an easy life with regular service visits performed. owner traded it in for a 05 HD PSD. whether or not its the truth is another issue- the price on the truck was acceptable.

upon taking the truck in on trade, before i bought it, the dealer changed the oil, filters, lube, etc.. before they sold it. i have the service ticket from the ford service department and it shows 15 qts of 10w30 with anti foam additive. i am not convinced that the oil is the right oil.

the truck does not run a smooth as i would expect, and i want to change the oil to eliminate that unknown. since the truck is bigger than my garage,it lives outside. i want to go to syn oil 5W40 to help starting. that, and a cold front from alaska tent! the truck does start and behave better when i plug int he block heater for a few hours. once warmed up, its better but i think it will do better with better oil.

i agree on the 3000-5000 oil changes. i may start doing an oil analysis program too: i am still learning about it.

thanks again for your help.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
Crumm-

sorry if my post was confusing. the truck is new to me, i bought it used from a local ford dealer. the current mileage on it is 88k.
Not confusing at all. I was just throwing in a little humor. I know no one would ever go 88k between oil changes. I am just a bit of a smart :bootyshak

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been running 5w40 Rotella Syn for about a year and half. I really like the syn in the 6.0. It starts easy without the romps and idles down just fine. I have not noticed any increase in fuel mileage.

Dave :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim