Oil temp getting hot

pduncan881

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 sd with a 6.0 and 54000 mi. Its been upgraded with a banks ottomind 6, banks 4" turbo back, ramair intake and banks intercooler. Iv noticed the oil temp is slowly riseing each time i drive it. With normal driving oil is at around 245 f. Coolant temp is normal. Any help on where to start looking???

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I'd start by thinkin that it's a clogged oil cooler. I'm not real familiar with the 6.0, so I'm just guessing and should probably stay on the 7.3 side of the fence:D At any rate, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my mechanical skills tell me that's where I'd start to look. Also, when was the oil changed last? Oh yeah, almost forgot, ;W7:SDD glad to have a here and hope you get all the answeres you need as there is a ton a smart cookies on here that have spent plenty of time tinkerin with these PSDs!!;tu

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
I'd start by thinkin that it's a clogged oil cooler. I'm not real familiar with the 6.0, so I'm just guessing and should probably stay on the 7.3 side of the fence:D At any rate, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my mechanical skills tell me that's where I'd start to look. Also, when was the oil changed last? Oh yeah, almost forgot, ;W7:SDD glad to have a here and hope you get all the answeres you need as there is a ton a smart cookies on here that have spent plenty of time tinkerin with these PSDs!!;tu

i would like to ditto this except for the 'i am a 7.3L guy' cuz i have the 6.0L.

filter and or oil change?

welcome

p.s. how do you like the 'ottomind' and what kind of results does it net you?

paulpe99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.0L EOT & ECT Averages

245 deg. EOT is too hot for "normal" driving. And what is your ECT? The ECT should not differ from the EOT by more than 20 deg. If it does, your oil cooler is probably clogged. You've got some low miles on that truck. Is it still under a warranty? If so, you should find a mod friendly tech/dealer before you have it serviced. If you decide to change out the oil cooler yourself, you can find them for $300 on ebay. I'd recommend putting a coolant filter on your motor if you do change out the oil cooler.

pduncan881

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:clap:Well thanks to all who helped. Replaced the oil cooler and that appeared to fix the problem. I had the truck down that far so i installed an egr cooler bypass kit also. That seem to add some power? Should it have? Lets hope so. I ordered a dieselsite coolant filter that i will put on as soon as it comes. Thanks again for the help maby someday i will be able to return the advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14