Oil Useage

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe, I'm wrong on this. My 2002 F350 7.3 is at 70,930 and running fine. A couple of years back I switched from the MC 15w40 to Rotella 15w40 mainly because it was easier to find in the gallon jugs. Truck ran great with the MC oil but used about 2 quarts between the 5000 change mark. It was my understanding Ford considered this normal with some 7.3's.

Upon changing over to Rotella, I may use 1 quart between changes. I'm not saying the Rotella is better than the MC, but can it be possible certain oils act differently in our engines?:dunno

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
I'd stick with Motocraft, it was designed to run in these engines. The Walmart here in town now carries it in 5 gal jugs. Not sure if you have those up there.

wheelhopper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Different oil does react differently. I use to loose a quart of oil between oil changes when I used synthetic in one of my trucks. If I used petroleum based, no use at all. It has to do with the size and shape of the oil molecules and the clearances of the rings and seals in your motor.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I'd stick with Motocraft, it was designed to run in these engines. The Walmart here in town now carries it in 5 gal jugs. Not sure if you have those up there.

Motorcraft is fine oil, but it is no more "designed to run in these engines." than any other oil with the proper API rating. :dunno

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Motorcraft is fine oil, but it is no more "designed to run in these engines." than any other oil with the proper API rating. :dunno

+1...well said.

did you change anything else on the truck around the same tim eoyu changed oil brands? i know when vehicles have ccv's that go back to the intake, a restricted air filter will suck much more oil vapor from the crank case...maybe you changed something, or your driving style?

regardless, thats an interesting observation you made. i rotate between delo, rotella, and mobil just because those are the 3 brands we sell at work, so whatever is cheapest at the time is what my truck gets. that makes it hard for me to nail down any trends in oil consumption.

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No other changes or mods, truck is completly stock. I have also heard good things about the other oils (Delo-Delvac-Valvoline Blue) but never tried them. I plan on sticking with the Rotella, trucks seems to like that brand.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
interesting.

i think i may stick with one brand for a few oil changes, then switch to another brand to see if there is a difference in consumption on my truck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you guyz talk about oil use, are you saying yer 7.3 will use oil til it gets to the Add 2 quarts Mark ? or beyond ?

The reason I ask is.... My 2K 7.3, since new; when I change oil, if I put <15> quarts back in.... it would shuck 1 quart in say, 500 miles, then not need (use) any more til the next oil change, at 6K. That's 'round town or on the road, towing or empty.

Soooo, when I change oil, I only put in 14 quarts. Been doing that since about the 2nd or 3rd oil change. No oil needed between services. It'l be down a touch.. but not enough to add any.

:dunno

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
big joe- i dont ever recall needing to add oil either, but it has gotten down lower in the window on the stick. this thread has sparked curiosity, im interested to see if my engine consumes more of one brand than another.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big joe- i dont ever recall needing to add oil either, but it has gotten down lower in the window on the stick. this thread has sparked curiosity, im interested to see if my engine consumes more of one brand than another.

FWIW to ya ? I've only used 2 brands, Delo to about 60K then Rotella Syn to date. 137K on the clock.. same results. It will use a bit, on a long trip, towing. I'd be concerned if it didn't, but never a full quart. I'm 8000 miles into this RV trip.. used 1 quart, 1/2 qt at a time. Changed oil @ 6500, (14 qts), haven't added any yet.

I attribute some of this to a good by-pass filter set up, for additional, more refined filtration. JMHO.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58