Oil -- Which one to use???

sammyslab

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I know this has probably come up in another thread somwhere in the archives, but I really would lke to know your opinions on which oil to use.
Fact: I've been using Motorcraft Super Duty 15W4o since the truck was new in 2005. I only have 9900 miles on the truck but the last 2 oil analysis indicated that the oil has lost its viscosity after less than 3000 miles. I thought about an oil additive but wasn't sure. Today, I was at the local Ford dealership and asked about a proper oil additive and they recommended Rotella T instead of M/C Super Duty. Imagine that?!!
So, I thought why not try the Rotella T Synthetic but could only find 5W40 instead of 15W40.
What are you guys using and what is your change intervals? Does anyone use additives? Does anyone use the Rotella Synthetic oil and iot it worth the extra cost?
If this is an old subject, please don't be offended.
One other thing - - I use an additive of some kind on each fuel fill up. I generally use John Deere's winter or summer additive. Is this necessary and could I be shortening the injectors life? These things are too expensive to abuse.
Hey - - - thanks for helping and I hope each of you have a very Merry Christmas... Sam ,, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

atk

Reaction score
i have swithched to a synthetic oil myself. i am using Valvoline 5w40 fully synthetic. it is ment for diesel`s. i have always like Valvoline products, so far so good. i plan on using it all year round.

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I used Delo on my first oil change. After that, I switched over to Rotella T Synthetic. It's readily available at Wal-Mart. Another reason why I switched over. Seems to hold up pretty good. It also comes in 15w-40. As far as the diesel fuel additive, I like to use Stanadyne. Found it on ebay for a good price. Case of twelve for about 70 bucks. Half a bottle treats about 30 gallons. Hope this info helps. By the way, you should look into buying a fumoto drain valve, if you haven't got one already. It sure makes changing the oil a whole lot faster and cleaner.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get Rotella T Syn 15w-40 at Wal-Fart? Wow... All we have up here is the 5w...

sammyslab

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I will most likely go to the Rotella on the next change. I only have about 9900 miles on the truck. I don't do much with it other than drive it to work on sunny days and a little around town on the weekends. I've had it almost 2 years now and it's not even broke in good. I'll try to post a pic at the end of this reply.
My neighbor owns a couple of over the road trucks and claims that fuel additives are the death of injectors. That is why I was curious if anyone else used them. I have a John Deere compact tractor (JD4110) with a 3 cylinder Yanmar. I use John Deere oil in it and a fuel additive with no problems so far. I've used it so much in both the truck and the tractor that I find it hard to not use it. Have you ever heard that they are hard on the injectors. My neighbor claims that the additives wash away the lubricating qualities of the diesel fuel itself. I thought that they enhanced the lubricating quality especially with the new ultra low sulfer fuels.
Anyway, thanks for getting back to me with your opinions. I enjoy reading about everyones trials and tribulations. So far, my PSD has been a jewel. I don't get in to the throttle very much. I've babied it around every since it was new. I try to keep the RPM's under 2500 when going thru the gears. I do my best to keep it under 2000 RPM's onthe highway for better fuel economy. It's great to drive compared to the F-150 I traded for it.
Take care everyone and Merry Christmas to each of you.. Sammy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14