Help Needed Ok I'm crying uncle on this one, need help.

Jet Fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First some background,
The truck I'm working on was my 95 f350 cc, i sold it to a buddy and he use to love it.
I sold it with Beans 160cc inj and 6-pos chip also from Bean's, stock turbo, no i/c 4-inch straight piped.Tranny was built by me, triple disk converter,trans-go, updated planets,45-element sprag....ect,ect.

The truck started losing power after he fixed a fuel leak that required him to pull the fuel filter canister. Someone advised him that a stock turbo won't survive under the psi he was seeing, so he bought a new turbo from industrial injection thats supposed to be real fancy. Still ran like dog poop.

He finally called me when the truck wouldn't start. It had a 1211 code and I pulled a hpop line and no oil when cranked, swapped out ipr, still no oil.
one new late model pump later it ran....still like dog poop.
No power,bad mileage,lots of smoke,high egts, hard to start.IPR % were high. no brainer, Pulled the injectors and found one bad o-ring and all the upper cushion rings deteriorating.(found out later the early aftermarket o-rings had some problems, they lasted 10-20 thousand miles).

You'd think that would be the end.....nope still ran like dog poop.
It throws no codes.
Here is what we have changed....PCM, tried different chip, IDM,ICP,MAP,CPS.
I pulled the tranny replaced the up-pipes(they were leaking after the turbo swap) tore the tranny back down to double check everything, it passed inspection.

My buddy got talked into some New AC injectors, change those out and it had less boost than when we started.
Did a compression test, the two second to the back holes opposite of each other are at 360 the rest are at 400.
In tonys extreme the boost is a dismal 25 psi and its lazzzy getting there.

Idles fine, starts fine, passes buzz test, fails cyl contribution test, but whats weird is its a different hole that fails each time its done. don't know what exactly that means.

A fuel line failed on it, but I don't know if it blew or a hole was rubbed in it,(wasn't there) and I clean the crap out of the frp screen.

Sorry for the long post but I'm at wits end. I don't know what else to check. any body got some idea's???
Thanks Ben

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Man that is horrible. Have you made any more progress? Hopefully you guys can figure it out. I would have thought about compression problems as well.
Keep us informed on what you find.

Jet Fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pulled exhaust manifolds and added gasket(don't ask me why we didn't do this when we did the up-pipes, somebody should have ball punched us for not doing it at the same time) got boost up to 30 psi but its still a turd.It spools slow, really slow for 160's and a 1/0 exhaust housing.

Going to check fuel pressure and pressurize the intake side through the turbo to see if maybe it has a boost leak, It seems silly cause it not like there is an I/C or piping to lose it through, just the little y manifold and two boots. But I'm running out of brains here.

What would excessive fuel psi do?The fuel canister was the last thing he touched before this whole thing went south(so he says).

Could someone explain a failed cylinder contribution test to me.
I would think that with new injectors and a compression test that checks out(its not ideal), it would pass.Could a bad engine Harness be the culprit?

Feel free to bounce any idea's off me, we've already had the "lite it on fire" idea, so that ones out. I have another 95 sitting next to the shop waiting for a transmission case, so I've been borrowing parts to try, I just don't know what to try next.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
bad fuel pump?? A failed cylinder contribution test basically means that when the scanner tool cuts out injectors, it should feel and sound the same for every cylinder that it does it on, you should lose equal power each time. I'm assuming you used a scanner, or did you just unplug injectors and listen?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Idles fine, starts fine, passes buzz test, fails cyl contribution test, but whats weird is its a different hole that fails each time its done. don't know what exactly that means.

sounds exactly like my truck.i pulled my injectors the other day and found one that the copper washer is MIA,no where to be found.the bottom of that injector is all carboned up and looks melted.you might wanna pull them and check for leaks around the copper washers or atleast go around and make sure the injectors are all good and tight like they should be.also dont rule out a bad set of injectors.

Jet Fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bad fuel pump?? A failed cylinder contribution test basically means that when the scanner tool cuts out injectors, it should feel and sound the same for every cylinder that it does it on, you should lose equal power each time. I'm assuming you used a scanner, or did you just unplug injectors and listen?

Yup i used my scanner. I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet(the truck is not in my possesion). It gets lots of fuel.

Rich, I been down the copper washer road before. I'm 100% sure that they are there. I had Bean's injectors in there first, and then Industrial injection convinced my buddy that the poppets were bad(even though they maintained pressure)and sold him brand spank me new out of the box ac code injectors(same cc's). the truck ran exactly the same.

Pressurized the intake and no turbo leaks(didn't see that comming) But....I could only maintain 9 psi and the air was rushing out of crank case. I'm starting to think i've got to pull the motor and check for broken rings.(which is why I did a compression test in the first place)

It going into a shop on tuesday to be put on a scanner that makes mine look like an atari vidio game. so will see what that turns up.
In the mean time we are taking it fishing tomorrow, if you don't here from me after tuesday, I'm still walking home.:)

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
if it aint burnin oil it most likely wont have any broken rings.youre gonna hear air rushing out and not hold alot of pressure cuz not all intake and exhaust valves will be closed at the same time so you will hear it comeing out the exhaust system.and if you didnt connect the air source directly to the turbo you will be putting pressure into the crankcase through the CCV.

Paul H

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have seen 7.3L run as every day drivers on 4 PSI of fuel pressure.

You want at least 70 psi at the check point at idel.

Too much pressue would make the injectors hard to fire and retard injection.

Also make sure the hoses to the fuel canister were reconnected the right way and that they did not cut a hose on the inside while slipping them over the barbs leaving a flap of rubber blocking it somewhere.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58