Help Needed Ok I'm crying uncle on this one, need help.

Jet Fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Checked the fuel psi, the gauge goes ape and bounces from 40 to 85 at idle and if I roll into it it will spike at 90 psi but if i just smash it, it drops but not lower than 40psi.This is an area I'm not familiar with, Are these numbers too high and why does my gauge go nuts even at high rpm, I assumed it was the pump being driven off the cam lobe, but would think it would smooth out at higher rpm.

I looked at the push rods from up top when I had the valve covers off, I did not pull them out, They looked straight, If it comes down to pulling the motor I'll Pull them first and roll them across some glass.

Map senser has been changed, They ONLY thing that hasn't been changed is the fuel pump.

Paul H

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure will normally pulse like that due to being a diafram pump. It is not like running an electric where the pressure is constant.

Will have to read back through your problem again and give it more thought.

Ok so the truck ran fine till before the fuel canister was changed? Was it a ned canister or a used one?

What color is all the smoke you are getting?

What turbo was put on it in order to cure problems? Could it be the turbo is not spooling up like it should?

Throttle responce should be almost instant with just a bit of lag of the turbo has the right flow map for the 7.3L

Last edited:

Jet Fuel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pulled the motor its roached, ring gap is at 50 thou, wierd it doesn't look dusted but if you've ever dealt with 2-strokes it kinda looks like nikacil thats flaking, not the long shiny streaks like when it gets dusted.(or the ones I've seen dusted).

I'm being told that its because the injectors I had in there washed the cylinder walls, because the poppets were bad, I call bs, it doesn't make sense to me and if the poppets were leaking I think i would have seen it in the icp readings via low hpop pressure. but what do I know, he now has brand spank me new stage 2 alliant injectors and I'm almost done building his brand new motor( would have had it done today but i broke a f-ing piston ring on assembly and have to wait till tuesday for another)

I feel bad cause I sold it to him and I thought it was in better shape than that, if I would have known it was going to be such a headache I wouldn't have sold it, he swears that he won't ever own another psd after this, but I think when he drives it with a new moter and all the mods,(picked up an I/C too) he'll change his tune.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Mmmm, I dont buy the washed walls either. I hope the new engine changes your buddies mind on the future ownership of a PSD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg