OK, Single Shots, Here We Go!!!!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
driveboosted said:
bump..... its been a month & i read this thread....

so how she run???

I still haven't got the idle issue fixed. I got an Autoenginuity program and did some data logging while driving for Jody @ DP-Tuner to look at in order to better diagnose the problem. The only time it idles bad is when stopped in park/neutral or when loping around town around 25-30 mph (idle rpm, light engine load). If I put into gear or hit my exhaust brake, it idles smooth as can be.

As far as down the highway, runs like a raped ape is an understatement. I floored it from a dead stop while data logging with the Autoenginuity. It logged my 0 to 60 time as something like 7.7 seconds, 0 to 75 was about 11.5 seconds. As far as MPG is concerned, when I hauled my daughter back to school round trip, I got about 16.6 mpg doing about 70 - 75 mph with the truck loaded to gills for half the trip.

I think before I do any more PCM tunes, I think I'd better get me a better turbo. I can get perty darned close to 1300 degrees if I ain't careful. That little early 99 turbo will hit 28 to 30 psi. :eek: :eek:

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Kent, How bout' an update on how the single shots are doing.

Did ya' get the idle smoothed out?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Rex-a-FORD said:
Hey Kent, How bout' an update on how the single shots are doing.

Did ya' get the idle smoothed out?

Not yet, but I've got a plan in place.

I got the AutoEnginuity program. I did some data logging for Jody of DP-Tuner. But one of the parameters he requested was "accelerator position - volts", but that parameter wasn't one of the options in the AutoEnginuity. The only related choice was accelerator position- percent. I've been talking to the AutoEnginuity guy trying to get that worked out. After a lot of talking and trying, what they found out is that "accelerator position - volts" isn't one of the things available in the list of Ford sensor parameters even though the analyzer Ford uses will give you a read out for that. Apparently what that analyzer does is multplies the percentage value times the system voltage to give you "accelerator position - volts".:dunno So now that we know that, I was going to reaccomplish that data logging, BUT MY DAMNED LAPTOP DIED!!:cussing: So now it's "Dude, I'm getting a Dell" The UPS website says I should have the new laptop sometime this Tuesday.

Now, I've also been talking to the guys at Beans about the same issue. They say they don't understand why I've got the rough idle. They've never had any problems with their single shot tunes on chips, and they use DP-Tuner programs.:dunno They can't put tunes on a PCM, only Jody can do that. What Bean's did do for me was to send me a loaner chip with one of the single shot programs they use.

So this is my plan at this time. When my new laptop arrives, do some more data logging on the DP-Tuner PCM that has the rough idle problem. Then put the chip in that Bean's loaned me, and do some more data logging. Then send all that info to Jody so he can compare the two and figure out what the problem is. Then we can do another PCM that will hopefully resolve the issue.

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good luck with getting the idle smoothed out.

Keep us posted on your progress..........

Some day I'd like to possibly follow your lead on the single shots....

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Bean's say they haven't had any idling problems with the tunes they load on their chips, which they get from Jody. If you were to get single shot programs from Bean's loaded onto your chip, I doubt you'll have a problem.

From what Jody told me, he has live tuned a ton of stage II and stage III trucks, but never a stage I. That is why I'm trying to help out Jody with the data logging. If Bean's could install a tune on my PCM, I'd have them do so, but they can't, so I'm trying to get it done through Jody.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
UPDATE

I got a chip from Bean's to tryout to see if it improves my rough idle. After my first try and not getting the contacts clean and pulling the PCM back out for a second try on cleaning the chip contacts, I can say the idle is now silky smooth.

The next question is why? Supposedly the same tune is on both the PCM and the chip. The PCM tune idles rough and the chip idles smooth. The PCM also seems a bit more power.

Now I'm going to do some data logging with my AutoEnginuity and see if I can get some hard data to help figure out why the chip and PCM tune perform differently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14