old problem new again

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had long start issues a while back. Went away whenanged the oil filter.
The problem came back a month ago. Oil,Oil filer, and fuel change didn't help. Banks didn't show any codes, and all the temp sensors showed accurate.
Took it to the local diesel shop.(Not a dealer) They said it was taking a long time to get up to 500psi in the Hpop, but he didn't think it was a pump issue because it is fine when hot. He thinks its a screen in a valve below the Turbo.

he is basing this off one other truck he has seen with this long start due to slow building oil pressure. He was very accepting of me getting a second opinion before he tried to 500$ to take a peak at this.

Thoughts?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It maybe true. The engine will not fire off if the HPOP is not making 500 psi at cranking rpm. Get a second opinion.

Dave :)

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
It sounds like he is talking about the screen on the IPR. That could cause this. So could a leakdown in the high pressure oil rail.
Ken

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
I'm working through the same problem. I just had a shop put an EGR delete kit on and replace a fitting on the HPOP and put an oil cooler kit on. The long start was happening before the EGR took a dump.
I was out of money to yake care of this at the time. The mechanic is thinking about fuel rails and/or oil rails.
Debating on weather or not I can check into this myself

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acting fine when hot doesn't sound like the HPO system.

I would be watching the FICM voltage (KOEO, cranking, and at 2000 rpm).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58